[SUPPORT] Advanced Turn Based Tile Toolkit

Nevermind, I figured out that I need to check update indexes on movement

@Selentic: Seems like youā€™re making great progress, and for the most part you seem to have found similar solutions to my own. Iā€™ve had to make several changes to allow for hex grids/multi-level, but for your game what you are describing should be perfect. The only thing Iā€™m uncertain about is your solution for walls. Do you mean that you do not have south and east walls in your game anymore or that they are not added to the big unit array? A Size 3 unit would not work with any thin wall bordering the middle tile it occupies, so Iā€™m not sure if this works with anything but size 2 units.

Your thoughts about regenerating part of the grid is also similar to what I did initially and will certainly be far superior to regenerating the entire grid each round.

@mortsnort: Hi there! Glad you figured it out. Iā€™ve been debating whether or not to have that boolean be true by default. Might even change the default for the next update.

I mean the literal entities. A north wall can become a south wall just by simply moving it down an index. Since with just the two theyā€™re all facing the same direction, I can simply add them to an array, and when I generate clearance if I hit a tile with a wall, I can treat it just like one of the full obstructed tiles in my first grid image, since I know that the top or left is whatā€™s blocked meaning there isnā€™t clearance, and not the bottom or right which would mean that tile did have clearance. If that makes sense.

PS got everything working now, I might have some fun stuff to show you in a month or so :wink:

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Again this is not something I can do for my generic solution as I want it to work with auto-generated edges for terrain. Sigh, a word of advice for future development of your game. When adding a feature, donā€™t simply consider how long time it will take to implement, but also how long it will take to make sure all future new features work along with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome that youā€™ve got it working, though! This is very advanced manipulation of ATBTT and shows that you have truly mastered it. Canā€™t wait to see your future progress!

Luckily, this is the last significant thing I needed to add.

It seems like just yesterday I came here asking how to see enemy movement. Brings a tear to my eye :'^)

Hi! Can you please explain, how can I increase distance between tiles? I found Gap variable, but when I changed it nothing happened

Not really asking a question, more like asking for a recommendation. Letā€™s say I have an AI pawn armed with a main weapon and a sidearm. Each of 2 weapons has different set of skills and it costs some action points to switch between weapons. What would be better (based on sci-fi example) - to add function to evaluate which weapon is best to use (based on damage and range) the same way as to evaluate skill OR to just add weapon change cost to skill evaluation formula (for example IF skill is not available without weapon change - THEN skill effectiveness for AI/2)?

To be fair it really wasnā€™t that long ago. Youā€™re a quick learner :slight_smile:

Change the default tile mesh and the rest of the variables adjust automatically.

I think your second idea sounds the most likely to result in an accurate AI judgement of skill effectiveness. I would probably have done something to that effect.

The toolkit is currently 30% off! If you have been following this thread, but have not bought the toolkit yet, now might be the time!

Dang it. I bought it last week when it wasnā€™t on sale. Typical. haha. Well back to building

Hey, can you answer how to Add characters from mixamo in last version, like you explain in ATBTT - Tutorial 7 - Adding characters without the UE4 skeleton, but this method doesnā€™t work in last version, on map Sci-fi, jungle raid.

Sorry about the late answers. I did not get a notice, which happens sometimes.

Yeah, that is always a bit annoying. It should be very good value for your money anyway, I hope.

Unfortunately Iā€™m away on vacation and cannot test this directly at the moment. I donā€™t i my see what would be so different in Jungle Raid. Could you explain the issues you are encountering in more detail?

Open LEVEL error

Itā€™s not a problem for now, but i have a few questions.

1. When are you planning to release multiplayer?
  2. When i start playing from map jungle_raid i havenā€™t an error. But if i try to open level ā€œJungle Raidā€ from another place or map like on this attach

i have a lot of errors after simulation is end. My errors on attach. Please help me to resovle this problem.

Iā€™m not sure if I understand it right.

c95f4c7f7e8ad7caffb176005a619271c211c553.jpeg

Do you set ā€œCurrent Moveā€ as a sum of ā€œMax Moveā€ and ā€œCurrent Moveā€ in AI part of Move skill because of Running (range of Running displayed as yellow tiles by default)? Should I just skip this part if I donā€™t need Running?

Heya! I got to a point where I want to try to build underground and I get the tiles there aswell but!

a) The mouse tracer doesnā€™t seem to like the high difference so I need way more moves to get there and I need to scroll into the ground to get a movement option there. If I want to get out I have no problems whatsoever

b) If I leave the Max Levels on 5 I not able to get down the stairs at all

Anything I can do about it?

Networked multiplayer will be included in the next update. I cannot be certain when the update will be done. A couple of months, probably.

I am not sure what is causing the errors when loading Jungle Raid. It is not something Iā€™ve tested. I will take a look at it as soon as I am back from vacation.

Yep, youā€™ve understood it correctly. With no running you can skip this part.

Your post says you have attached an image, but I cannot see it. It is a bit difficult finding men to figure out out the exact problem without it. If you need more than five levels something is probably wrong in how the level is set up. Iā€™m assuming you do not not actually have more than five overlapping tiles in one place?

Make sure the max and minimum height for your height is set up correctly. Try turning on debug lines for the line traces inside the heightmap generation function contained in the Add Viewport Terrain to Arrays function and see if you can figure out where it goes wrong.

You can also turn on Pregenerate Gameplay Grids and set Show Tile Indexes and Show Tile_parent Edges to true to find out where the extra, unneeded tiled indexes are added and what the costs are for moving up vs down.

For clicking through tiles to ones underneath, that is a bit tricky. Check out the heightmap example map, where in use special heightmap tile actors that turn translucent and click-through when the player zooms close.

Those are the best suggestions I can give at this point. Report back after testing (maybe with screenshots/videos) and Iā€™ll try to give more specific feedback.

Weird. Well I tried a bit around and found that having the Min Grid Height did nothing good for me so I ended up raising the Max Grid Height and lowering the whole grid manager in the map and also lowering the Height Between Levels from 200 to 50 since I canā€™t walk down my stairs otherwise.

Ok, I can see the images now. Might have been caused by the limited WiFi in my previous hotel. Iā€™m still trying to figure out exactly what you are attempting, though. Do you need overlapping levels, or just some tiles that are lower than other tiles?

When it comes to the Max and Min grid height I have made a bounding box around the grid manager that shows these in the editor. As long as the top of the bounding box is higher than the highest walkable tile and the bottom is beneath the lowest walkable tile you should be good.

I will try to make a video for you later so you can see exactly what I try and where it breaks. Maybe that will explain it better.

Rotating camera

Really amazing work, but I would second the addition of a free look camera option w/ right click rotation. Iā€™m sure users can figure it out with some tinkering, but would be really nice to have the option right off the bat. Keep up the good work!