Download

Suggestions for controlling Forward vector in a JRPG top down style.

Hello all, I’m trying to mess around with building an overhead rpg similair to the JPRGs of the 16bit console days, Ive been juggling tutorials to get the basics, but am a loss for what the smartest way to handle the following…

I’m using a WASD setup for the 4 directions and controlling it with add movement input nodes. It works well though the forward vector remains fixed. The question is how best to handle changing the forward vector to the direction most currently moved, Should i try to delay the rotation about a second or more(To represent the character animation of turning in that direction) If so how? Before I go too deep down the wrong direction and go about it completely backwards. I thought I should consult with some more learned than I.

I intend tie the forward vector to visuals with flashlights, Damage taken from the sides & rear and even to build a system where the character will do a line trace directly in front of them to determine if an object/character is intractable(and therefore possibly what kind of interaction). I know I’m probably biting off more than I can chew as a novice, But any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for in advance for any advice.

I am playing with isometric game prototype.

And best way for it that i found now is using very simple AI bot for my character pawn. Actual player pawn is spectator camera that i can navigate and move. It has target actor that is placed bit ahead of camera focus point on ground (or where camera forward vector hits ground). I can move camera around and thus target actor moves.

Then player AI pawn gets location of that target point updated every 0.1 second (you could update it to center of tile when it moves to new one).
When i update that location i give AI pawn order to either face that location (keyword for blueprint nodes is: FOCAL POINT) or move to that location.

This setup works best, because AI handles all animations (strafing going backward etc, are no longer handled by my code, they are handled by anim player blueprint and C++ code inside it).

This also has advantage of easy extending single player tps to squad based game where you control 4 or so pawns/characters.

however there is some learning involved (took me 3 3evenings to go trought it all and learn how stuff works):

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/HowTo/CharacterMovement/Blueprints/index.html

Main difference to this setup from tutorials is that i send keyboard input to spectator camera pawn,
and then that camera pawn sends orders to actual player character like it was AI bot.

Thank you very much for that, I feel like this is exactkly the nudge in the right direction im looking for! cheers!
Now to study up!