Subtitles using world time

Hi there, I’ve got a project that I’ve been working on since 4.8 and whilst it’s never been a HUGE issue, there’s been a running problem that upgrading to 4.12 hasn’t fixed.

For some reason when playing audio that features subtitles, it appears the subtitles are using the world time to decide where they should play from, rather than the audio play time. What I mean by that, is that if I play instantly on level start, the subtitles line up as intended, but if I put a 5 second delay on before playing, are running from second 5 where as the audio is at second 0. I’ve had a snoop around the Subtitle Manager and ActiveSound code in source build and I’m having a bit of a hard time making out where this logic is produced.

Is this intended functionality? I could understand perhaps if subtitled audio were only meant to be tied to non-component implementations, so the subtitles used the time of the actual audio item to decide their time, but you can ONLY use it with audio components. It seems odd that no-one has highlighted this issue, as I’m finding it incredibly easy to replicate with existing and new pieces of audio. (Note that I’m using subtitle functionality built into the .wav files, not the dialogue system)

Does anyone have any ideas about the root of this issue?

I managed to find out the issue to this, it’s an issue with the subtitlemanager.cpp script. I have a fix highlighted in a Github pull request here,https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/2591 , it’s worth reading the comments, the repository linked by ProjectGheist fixes some other elements, so it’s best to combine the two.