Subtitles only showing first and last lines

I have been implementing the dialogue for my project and have run in to a bit of an issue with the subtitles in the Sound Wave options. When I have a sound wave that requires more than one line of subtitles I want to manually control where the line breaks are as the default length of a subtitle line overlaps part of my HUD. However when I set the “manual word wrap” boolean to true it displays a block of subtitles all showing the current subtitle which can be seen in this image (the number of lines is always equal to the total number of items in the subtitles array):

28000-subtitlestack.png

I have been able to solve this by also setting the “single line” boolean to true but that creates another problem in which the first subtitle line will display for longer than it is supposed to, then all other subtitles will rapidly show as if their time was set to 0 (which they are not) until the last one which will show until the sound wave is finished playing. I am not sure if this is a bug or if I have something set incorrectly as I have not been able to find any documentation on sound waves or subtitles outside of the audio system overview, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The sound wave I have been testing with:

Hello ,

I am unable to reproduce the exact issue that you are describing. I have a couple of questions to help narrow down the issue that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Could you provide a screen shot of any blueprints that may be involved in this issue?
  2. Can you reproduce this in a clean project?
  3. If so, could you provide a detailed set of steps to reproduce this on our end?
  4. If not, could you provide the project that is experiencing this issue?
  5. What version of the engine are you using?

Hi Rudy,

I am using 4.6.1

I have replicated the issue in a clean project and have included a screenshot of the soundwave and trigger blueprints below.

The following are the steps I used to reproduce this:

1. Create new project (I used the first person template)
  2. Import audio file to use as sound wave (a .wav in my case)
  3. Set the subtitles in the named array in the sound wave with the sum of the ‘time’ fields not being greater than the length of the sound wave audio.
  4. a. To get the first issue mentioned (multiples of the same line) set ‘manual word wrap’ to true, leave ‘single line’ false.
    b. To get the second issue (skipping middle lines) also set ‘single line’ to true
  5. Create a new blueprint that will act to trigger your dialogue
  6. Add a box to it’s components, I set it to be visible in game to make it easier to test.
  7. Create a new variable of type sound wave, this will be set to your sound wave file.
  8. Create an Event Actor Begin Overlap event and connect it’s execution pin to a Play Sound Attached node
  9. attach your sound wave variable to the sound field
  10. use the character’s mesh as the attach to component.
  11. drop a Trigger into the level and resize it to a reasonable size
  12. Begin playing the game and walk through the trigger, this should start the dialogue playing.

Note: I normally have checks to stop the dialogue from playing over itself but I wanted to keep this blueprint as simple as possible to isolate the issue and I have confirmed that it is not being caused by the dialogue playing multiple times at once.

That should result in my exact setup from a new project.

My Trigger blueprint:

My Soundwave file

Thanks,

Hello ,

I was able to reproduce this issue on my end. I have written up a report ( UE-8501) and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for you time and information.

I do however, have a way to achieve what I believe is your goal. If you check both Manual word wrap and Single line you will then need to set each line as though it were on a timeline. For example if you would like to have each subtitle show every 1.5 seconds you would put their time in as 1.5, 3.0, 4.5, 6.0 7.5 ect. Here is a picture of what I mean:

I hope that this helps.

Make it a great day