Substrate landscape layers and painting terrain...how to?

I have a code snippet for a material that I’m not sure if I can post here. It’s for an undisclosed project. However, what I can say is that I’m running into a problem making a landscape material with the substrate system. I attempted to make a few blends and use static parameter switches to connect to the landscape layer blend node and go from there. When I apply the material and go to landscape mode it crashes. Are we currently able to do landscape layers with the Substrate system?

It’s currently not possible to add some of the building block nodes to the landscape layer blend node (I don’t have a complete list) but it seems that I’m missing something. Help?

UPDATE: I successfully got a 3 layer material to render without crashing the client. However, it doesn’t register the layers themselves. Only the final Substrate slab that is connected to the output material pin. Is this intended to make us use the coverage node and add in a few different slabs (with the add node) to get one main texture as opposed to layers? I’m trying to learn but this is confusing. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2 Likes

I am also looking for a solution to this. Since Substrate is applied automatically to all materials, I can’t find the solution to also use it on Landscapes.

I tried with an old project and when it does the conversion it does it correct and everything works fine. But creating a new material and apply it to the landscape got me the same issue.

Opening an old Landscape material that it actually works, I’ve just founded that.

Have a same problem, looking for LandscapeLayerBlend analog for Substrate.

you can check out the UE5 sample project ElectricDream, thie project 's landscape meterial use substrate, my be can help you

This example did not use the ‘landscape layer blend node’ node type mentioned by Artquaria27, it seems that the substrate is currently only focused on automotive projects.
Is there any way to use the substrate system to paint layer blend materials in landscape mode?

I just made this post. Hope that helps!