Substitution table

Hello Vincent

A few weeks ago, you suggested using the Substitution table to assign Revit materials quicker. You give me as well this link.

https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/article/Twinmotion-Substitution-Table-Overview

Thank you for this, but do you have something on how to create a Substitution table. Some spet-by-step because I don't understand how to do it in your article.

Thank you

Hello ,

Thank you for posting in the community your follow-up questions with how to use the substitution table. I will do my best to give you a step by step guide.

For this example I have modeled 2 walls and each have a different texture applied in Revit. The first thing to do is to identify the materials in Revit that you want to automatically adjust during the import process using the substitution table.

When importing the model from Revit the first time, I made sure not to use the substitution table so I can see how the materials came in and the name of material.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 123840

The following 2 materials came in, can be seen by using the material picker and going to the gallery view:

1. Concrete__Cast-in-Place_gray
  2. Concrete_Masonry_Units

Screenshot 2022-07-18 132113Screenshot 2022-07-18 132101

Once you have the name of the Revit Materials you will need to start creating the replacement table. To do so you will need to open the default substitution table “MaterialsSubstitutionTable.csv” located here: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Twinmotion2022.2\Substitution

Once open there will be many examples and helpful information in the file, that can be ignored or removed as needed. Keep in mind everything that has the # character will skip the line and ignore it. Thus you can start your Translation commands below all the help text already in the file.

There are a minimum of 7 Columns to take into consideration:

• ROW ID - Consist of an identification number that you can define how you want to list them.
  • Row Name - Consist of a reference name - I used the Twinmotion Material name I wanted to use instead of the Revit material.
  • Substitution Type - is the type of substitution that needs to happen and at this time there is only one value and it should be Materials
  • Filter - is the filter used in order to identify the Materials and at this time there is only one value and it should be Name
  • Conditional Expression - is used to define the search criteria to make sure the correct substitution happens. I used Match to avoid any unwanted changed to other materials.
  • Value - Enter the name of the Revit Material and needs to entirely Match since that is the condition I picked in the previous field.
  • TM Library GUID - Each material has a unique identification number and that need to be found from the File > Export All Libraries list. (The list will include all downloaded Quixel Surfaces and all Surfaces in the User Library).

renditionDownload

Bare Concrete 02 = 0451F1CB-B9FF-43E7-BD78-1883D84E4D3B

The remaining Columns are used to change and adjust specific settings in the material so that it displays correctly. In the example I decided to scale the texture to the value 10. Thus you need to type it as [Scale 10]

If you wanted to change another setting of the material you can reference the article for the values available. Hope this helps and if you have any follow-up questions or comments please let me know.

Kind regards,

Vincent B.

Revit_Example - MaterialsSubstitutionTable.csv (353 Bytes)