Substance painter vs designer? huh i'm lost

Now i just watched two video of substance painter and designer. And I’m having trouble seeing why would somebody need two of these things??.. to convert a height to normal or displacement??? Kind of lost here? On th egood note i finally figured out my building errors

Substance designer is all about creating custom procedural materials. You can use baked textures to control how those materials are applied. But generally Substance Designer is more about making tiling textures or procedural content.

Substance Painter is all about working with textures or substances and applying them to a mesh, working with layers, and painting in detail. Substance painter is almost a Photoshop replacement for creating textures for a specific asset. But you can’t make tiling materials within Substance painter by itself. But there is libraries of content online.

I have Sub.Painter, Designer… and Quixel;
I’d rather use Quixel all day if not in need of big texture compression.

I hate Quixel and Photoshop compared to the substance suite. NDO is cool and so are the presets in DDO, but it’s too slow and buggy. And it really lacks the customization and freedom Substance has. Plus Substance feels better for production, automation, and more non destructive. And it’s just more fun to work in, less quirks and lag.

Ok… but painter you’re able to tile textures also… But i had remembered it’ll be good for the i.d sets

wow nice game witht he level design… some people forget a game has alot to do with the audio great choice for the 2015 level pick i’ll play it.

darn i just got into the fx part now i really see

Care to explain? I don’t mind photoshop , I used it for a long time. But does the lack of integration with like the substance plugin delay anything? Or whats the advantage / disadvantage of them?

Most of the time I’ve used Substance Painter only to paint Material ID colors quickly; it allows for easy UV Shells selection and let us paint these UV shells directly on the 3D mesh, that is awesome.
But, Quixel has lots of premade effects and I love its many edge detection filters; so I take the Material ID texture painted in Subs.Painter and go with Quixel from most of the time.

Subs.Designer requires knowledge of graphics programming and GPU architecture to work well there, and I suck at graphics programming :stuck_out_tongue:
For me it is only useful if material needs configurable destruction layers, snowy terrain, weather variations, damaged walls. That kind of stuff.

You don’t need programming knowledge to use Substance Designer, if you can manage to use blue prints or the material editor, you can use the node based system in Substance Designer.