Studio Light Setup Unreal Engine

This is really great!Thank you for sharing.

Yeah that is a good point! Ahh clients. :slight_smile:

• Seriously this light setup has been fantastic and is allowing me to help some fellow artist / new UE4 users get the hang of the engine!!

I am more then happy to help fellow community members. Happy Rendering.

Hey , testing your scene. I see you have static level lighting scale very low (.25). This is without modifying the lightmass photon mapping engine at all?. I’m afraid to go lower than .80 to not make my render time explode!!!

Little error I found, the black chair’s leg mesh have a resolution of 1204 instead of 1024. No big deal!

Thanks for pointing that out, It was a typo mistake.

I am using lower values in Static Lighting to get good contact shadows without exploding the render times, every scene requires some testing and experiment to get the perfect value for render time and quality. I provided this scene so anybody can test their workflow/Lightmass settings. I highly recommend you to test several values, don’t constraint yourself to 0.8. On my PC it took around 52 minutes to render the scene on this quality, and yes I did change the values in Baselightmass.ini.

What I would suggest here, if you want to test Lightmass settings and little bit Baselightmass.ini, Keep your Indirect Lighting quality value under 4 so as not to increase the render times exponentially and then remove the blotches and spots by increasing Photon counts and lightmap resolution (going for 2k is overkill and above that is foolishness).

I am testing some values to become sure of there working pattern and will soon be uploading a file so any body can experiment and learn.

&stc=1

please do share some information on the Lightmass .ini …Thanks much.

Thanks for that cool scene.

However, when I open it, the scene seems pretty dark. Pumping up the lights doesn’t do the trick. Is there a option that I might have missed to turn on?

Thanks for your help!

Studio Setup 2.0

Experimenting with new Studio Lighting Setup in Unreal Engine 4.13.

Rendering time - 40 Secs :).

I definitely feel like the AO or shadows are too strong in that last image. I don’t think it would be quite that black with that much white and light in a scene.

Yes, I definitely agree. It might be the light setup that is causing such dark shadows, I am still experimenting with more options to get better results. I adjusted the Post Process Volume a bit, now it’s better (It had the high contrast value making shadows darker).

what about your materials? do you use substance, quixel etc… ? Or self made textures by photoshop?

I am extensively using Substance Designer now a days, extra controls and live tweaking is amazing for quick adjustments in Engine. Quixel is awesome for creating normal maps on the fly.

I have been recently looking into Substance to improve my materials/textures. So have you found Substance Designer more useful than Painter for your work?

Designer is definitely more useful for tiling materials and fabrics. With painter, you have to rely on the defaults or finding substances on their community website.

Painter is mostly useful if you are not tiling much at all and instead using largely unique textures.

Ah, then Designer is definitely what I need. Thanks for the info!

When you use Substance Designer, how do you prevent the material from looking like a repeated tile? Like in the sofa/chair a few posts ago, the imperfections in the fabric seem random, and don’t seem to have a repeated pattern. Every material I have tried created so far just end up being a repetitive tile.

When making textures, you gotta think about large scale details, medium details, and micro details. The micro details of fabrics are going to look repetitive, until you add large scale color variation, a subtle amount of distortion/waviness, and minor imperfections scattered about. Always look at reference and think, what are the large scale details, what are the medium, and what are the small, and make those separate branches of a substance that merge together in the end.

You can also save and reuse those branches for other textures.

I see. That makes sense. Is there a specific process you do to merge the different scaled textures? I guess that’s the part that I am stuck at.

I think there are examples of that in many of the starter content materials. Check it out!