Struggling to resolve profiling hitches

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience with profiling and could maybe shed a little light on what I’m experiencing, this has actually been driving me crazy for days now. I’ve got two major hitches in my game and I just got the life of me can’t resolve.

One of them is FRDGBuilder every frame is fine on average 10μs but then out of nowhere I get one frame fly up to 27ms and kills the frame rate then everything goes back to normal again. Then the other I’m struggling with is ConditionalCollectGarbage, I understand what this is used for but I can’t workout what the causes are. I’ve seen some people say the only option is to force the collection without the player noticing but that just seems like it’s covering up the issue rather than resolving it.

If anyone has any “insights” that can point me in the right direction to debug and resolve theses issues I’d really appreciate the help :pray:

Gameplay Demo:

Unreal Insights Hitches:

If anyone wants to take a further dig into the insights data I’ve also posted that here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VHMBf8g348Foj37aTNzwruQptDcAhzUU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance I really hope we can get to the bottom of these issues.

4 Likes

Are you using a Nvidia card?

If I remember correctly, switching to DX12 fixed the frame pacing issue for me.

Yeah me and my team are all using Nvidia cards

This is a common problem that causes weird frame drops caused by windows. Not sure if it’s your case here, but it might be worth looking into. It causes menu artifacts and editor frame drops and stuff in the gameplay also.

No I tested DX12 and it caused my framerate to drop by half and after checking insights the issue still persists

I just tested this by changing the Nvidia driver from the game ready one to the studio driver to see if this was what was in fact conflicting but I got the same results. The hitches within insights were still occurring so I don’t think this is the cause in my case unfortunately