String between two moving objects?

I’m working on a fishing rod and was wondering about ways I could display string (fishing line) between the rod and the bait.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

A few things I can think of:

Beam particle effect

HUD.Draw3DLine during event PostRender

A long, thin static mesh for the line, exported with one end of the line at origin. Put a socket at the end of the fishing rod. In-game, get the socket’s location, place the static mesh at the end of the fishing rod (but I don’t think you want to attach it to the socket, because that might reduce the manual control you have over it), and then change the rotation and Scale3D.X (or whatever is forward) to reach the fish.

Oh, and if the rod’s bent animation only works in one plane, then be sure to change the rod’s rotation to face the fish, so that the bend always points toward the fish.

Edit: You might also be able to make the string a new bone on the fishing rod. The close end of the string will stay in place automatically and then you’ll control the other end with a SkelControlSingleBone. In script, you’ll set SkelControlSingleBone.EffectorLocation to the fish’s head. If you do this, you’ll want to make sure you can stretch a bone in a single dimension. I’m sure that’s possible, but I don’t remember how to do it.

Thanks guys. I’ll take a look into some rope physics examples. Cheers