Stress Fields Do Not Reliably Cause Stress

I created a stress field and tried to use it to destroy a geometry collection, however I found that it only works at certain heights?

It’s demonstrated in the images below.

When placed at the top it does nothing…

Same again…

Placed Lower it works…

This is my basic stress field…

I’d look at the geometry cache before looking at the filed.
Is its collision working? Does shooting a projectile at it cause it to break as you’d expect?

Next thing I’d do is change the field from on tick to a custom event - enable bluetility on it, and try to toggle it manually.

That way, in theory, the field won’t run before everything is loaded and in place (by the time you get to the button).

After that…
Well, you ought to manually do a sphere trace of where the sphere was with the values you pass into the field, because you never know. Something may be off with it.

If all that checks out. Debug the rest. The falloff radius. The magnitude value(s) etc.

Becauase you have it running on tick right now with a .5 delay, the forces could just be summing up until they get to the treshold where the item breaks.

2 Likes

Hi MostHost_LA and thank you for your assistance.

While I was plodding through your troubleshooting list, I swapped out my custom fields for the in-game fields and these worked in my test file.

So in a way I fixed the issue. It was your suggestions that pushed me there as my results from troubleshooting were so odd. I basically gave in and shot my code/BP in the head and used Unreal’s.

In reality it evolved into a more troubling problem (see the link if anyone is interested) but in terms of this simplified question the problem is solved.

You were right however, that it is the GeometryCollections that are the prime suspect as I think these are what have been causing me the most problems (again, see link).

Regards,
THC

1 Like