Streaming of 3D models and json files from the internet

Hi, better programmers than me

I am currently trying to create the prototype of an application which must allow an user to select and stream 3D objects from the internet directly into the game at runtime. For now it seems that it is not an easy task, especially for someone who is not used to UE4 and networking. So I am just looking for someone who might kindly tell me if I am wrong, and maybe send me in the right direction, about the following points :

1. about the streaming itself I am currently trying to use this example. Even if it is not very user friendly for a beginner it should do the job. But it seems to imply that it can only work with pak files which only contain .uassets and .umaps. To me the code looks like it should work with other files but I didn’t manage to make it work yet so I am not sure at all. Did I misunderstand something ? Do I have to program myself something in order to stream .obj files, image files, and txt files ?

2. Because I could also simply use http requests (at least for the json/txt files) like in this example. Is it reasonable to use this system to also get 3D objects one by one (as .obj files) ?

3. Streaming uasset files through pak files is good, but it would be much better for me to load directly .obj files from my libraries without having to transform them one by one before. Once I manage to do the streaming part, should I make also an obj reader combined with ProceduralMeshComponent to create my meshs ? Or is there a way to reuse unreal engine algorithm to convert an obj to a MeshComponent ?

Thanks for reading all this ! Some advices would be greatly appreciated.

Math

Same issue. Working on a IOS app. we want load file like uasset from server to save size of game cause will play on mobile(IOS). Seem like both method above should be functional. But did not decide which to go. Or is there any other way to load Uasset from server in order to reduce size of game for IOS.

Working on UE4.10 .Is there any function for stream uasset from internet server already in there do the job?
And how about UE4.11?

Many thanks for any repley.

look into pak file streaming. it is working on lots of project