Stormrite - An open-world Action-RPG for PC & Xbox

Hi all! I thought I’d share Stormrite, the project I’ve been working on for the last 2 years! It initially started off as a solo project, but we now have a team of 5 working on the game (some full-time, some part-time), working towards a release on PC & Xbox! We switched over from UE4 to UE5 in the Preview 1 period, and it’s great to see the engine fully released!

I’ll be posting weekly updates here as a kind of text dev-log, sharing some info about how new features were implemented as I go along!

So to begin, here’s our cinematic trailer and a few gameplay screenies :smiley: Hope you all enjoy!

HilltopFight

NightWalk

PreFight

Sprucewood_forest_4

Oof

Would absolutely love to connect with other devs making similar games! I’m always up for a convo about game dev :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi there @kerds78,

Hope you’re having a wonderful week so far!

I have so many things to say about that trailer so bear with me.

1. The voice acting was fan-bloody-tastic. 100% awakened the inner D&D nerd in me.
  2. Every environment shown was beautifully detailed and truly breathtaking. The village forest areas being my favorite (How could it not??).
  3. The magic combat looks glorious and flashy - as it should be. :joy:

I can’t entirely tell but will the combat be similar to Mortal Online with weapon aiming being a key feature for melee?

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley: environment art is a concept pretty new to me (only really started with this project) so it’s nice to hear it looks nice! And of course, the flashier the magic the better.

Our combat isn’t as precise as having directional attacks, as we’re trying to work on combat on a larger scale (dealing with groups, disengaging/engaging at the right times, etc.) rather than the intricacies of 1-on-1 combat :slight_smile: But I’ll look at Mortal Online as a reference, as I haven’t heard of it before!

1 Like

Definitely keep us updated. Super interested in seeing this develop :slight_smile:

1 Like

So this week I’ve got a short video showing some of the gameplay changes that have been made recently.

Most notably, the new camera lock-on system. In-game, there should be a dot on the enemy you are targeting to make it easier to see who is the focus of your attacks, but in this recording session there was a bug resulting in the dot not being shown (but the health bars give a little indication of who is being targeted)

Magic and archery have not seen any major changes recently, just small bug fixes + camera adjustments. But the magic system will be getting a lot of attention in the coming weeks (new spells, more VFX + SFX).

1 Like

Hello I am new to UE I would love to be part of great game. if I can help in any way or if in any way you can help me learn that would be amazing

Hi Litebrite! unfortunetely we’re not looking for new team members :cry:, but I appreciate the enthusiasm for the project!

Another update! I missed last week but there’s been a lot of progress since then!

These past two weeks have been very focused on two things:

• The magic system
  • NPC AI

The video below shows the new magic VFX, spell switching mechanics, and how the crystal (attached to the player’s hip) reacts to the player using + switching spells.

There’s also been a bit of world-building done, particularly creating a new area linking one of our forest areas to the next village to be blocked out. It is a river area with a bridge, and a cliff on one side of the river. The screenshots below the video show what this new area looks like in Late Evening, and at Night.

Hope you enjoy the update!

Next week’s update will show some of the NPC stuff I’ve been working on, plus a short breakdown of how the NPC behaviour system works :slight_smile: