Storing position data in an external file

Hello folks- I am not a programmer, so I’m trying to do as much of this in blueprint as possible…

Essentially I have a sports stadium full of seats, and I need to be able to snap my camera/player to specific seats. I have set up a small proof-of-concept project which is working so far:

I have the positions and rotations hard-coded into the blueprint at this stage of development:

The next phase of development is to store the position and rotational data in an external file, as the end goal is to have a script in 3DsMax generate all this data for us.

So my questions are the following:

1. Is it even possible to pull coordinate data from an external file?
  2. Is there a specific filetype I need to use?
  3. Is there a specific syntax I need to use?
  4. Anything else I should be wary of?

As I said, I’m not a programmer, so I’m treading unfamiliar territory here. But I can consult the programmers I work with if the solution I’m looking for is over my head. Thanks for your time.

If you want the easiest way of saving it to a file, I’d look at Rama extra blueprint nodes , theres a blueprint node for storing a string in a text file on disk, as well as loading string data from a file on disc and using it in game

Yeah you will have to either use Rama’s stuff or write your own code for it. Sadly file IO is a huge glaring hole in Blueprint right now.

For anyone that comes across this thread with the same question, I was able to accomplish this using Rama’s plugin as mentioned above. The specific node I used is called “Load String Array from File”.

Formatting your external file in a way that is useful is another story- but unfortunately I’m being moved to another project for the time being so I won’t be able to solve that mystery for a while.