Steam sessions can not return player count

Found steam sessions can not return player count or ping if not using the default online subsystem.
A game using the steam online subssytem will be unable to display the player count in the server browser.

There must be some way of solving this issue, any help is appreciated!
/Best Regards


I’m currently talking this over with our developers, and I’ll get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.

I’ve been unable to verify yet, but it is possible this functionality was never implemented with using steam online subsystem, (just like “get ping”).

The current workaround I’ve found is to use the “Advanced Sessions” plugin and use the attachable session “extra settings” (which can be updated and retrieved) to create a custom system for keeping track of and updating the session player count that way.

It would be better to be able to retrieve the session information directly tho as I believe it would be a more stable solution.


After discussion with the developers, it appears that you are correct, this functionality has not yet been implemented using Steam OSS.

I’m glad you were able to find a workaround for the time being using Advanced Sessions.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Have a great day

Try getting the “Advanced Sessions” plugin, you can use “extra settings” to attach custom variables to a session which can be updated and retrieved. This would probably not work for dedicated servers tho.
/Best Regards

It’s April 10th, 2017 and this still doesn’t work. Any resolutions?

On this question, does anyone know how to use blueprints to update the extra settings info of a session? So that the server can update the player count? I have a blueprint only project that relies on listen server listing via steam.



Add that to the Default Engine.ini

It won’t work on Steam without it. There is an issue with Authority, the players don’t have it until you give it to them.

1 Like

@DLROKen This worked for me, thanks a bunch!

Hey I tried adding that line in my engine .ini files and it still doesnt work.

Result.Session.SessionSettings.NumPublicConnections - Result.Session.NumOpenPublicConnections

For me this always returns 1 and my servers are constantly 1/max player.

I looked around and couldnt find solutions, is is possible if you can share more info about how you got the player count to work? Im using listen servers on UE 5.2 and steam subsystem. (Logic is in c++, however if you have a BP solution please also let me know of it)

Im also currently using the test 480 app id, and im testing with people from other networks so it is not LAN

Not sure how much I can be of help @hassanjor, but I’ll explain my setup:

I’m using UE 5.2, dedicated server, Blueprints, Online Subsystem Steam (Advanced Sessions plugin), and the 480 app ID over a wireless connection.

I’m using the Get Current Players node, which takes an input from a Blueprint Session Result.

Hey, Thanks for the response.

I think it might be working for you because you are using a dedicated server while im using a listen server. Anyways I did figure out a way to manually do it through the gamemode using the update session function. so its all good now

1 Like