Steam sessions can not return player count

Found steam sessions can not return player count or ping if not using the default online subsystem.
A game using the steam online subssytem will be unable to display the player count in the server browser.

There must be some way of solving this issue, any help is appreciated!
/Best Regards

Hey MADHOUSE,

I’m currently talking this over with our developers, and I’ll get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.

I’ve been unable to verify yet, but it is possible this functionality was never implemented with using steam online subsystem, (just like “get ping”).

The current workaround I’ve found is to use the “Advanced Sessions” plugin and use the attachable session “extra settings” (which can be updated and retrieved) to create a custom system for keeping track of and updating the session player count that way.

It would be better to be able to retrieve the session information directly tho as I believe it would be a more stable solution.

Hey MADHOUSE,

After discussion with the developers, it appears that you are correct, this functionality has not yet been implemented using Steam OSS.

I’m glad you were able to find a workaround for the time being using Advanced Sessions.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Have a great day

Try getting the “Advanced Sessions” plugin, you can use “extra settings” to attach custom variables to a session which can be updated and retrieved. This would probably not work for dedicated servers tho.
/Best Regards

It’s April 10th, 2017 and this still doesn’t work. Any resolutions?

On this question, does anyone know how to use blueprints to update the extra settings info of a session? So that the server can update the player count? I have a blueprint only project that relies on listen server listing via steam.

[PacketHandlerComponents]

+Components=OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamAuthComponentModuleInterface

Add that to the Default Engine.ini

It won’t work on Steam without it. There is an issue with Authority, the players don’t have it until you give it to them.

1 Like

@DLROKen This worked for me, thanks a bunch!