Steam Session Ping 9999

This is not resolved.
I just do not understand how to get these logs you’re talking about. Please be extremely specific how exactly do I produce these logs and where exactly can I find them. I have done everything you say, but logs are nowhere to be found. Keep in mind game is launched through Steam client, so a lot of debug options are not available.

My game is now commercially available and people are complaining about this issue, so please I really need help!

1 Like

As asked above:

1. Are you getting 9999 on a Client on a machine trying to connect to another machine server?
  2. If so, it may be a firewall issue. Are you using lobbies or game server APIs?
  3. In SteamLibrary directory (wherever game is saved by Steam), look for SteamApps\common folder. Take a screenshot of that directory and post it here. My suspicion is log will be in there somewhere.

Regarding disconnect after a minute:

1. If you wait a long time and reconnect, does this still happen?

As an aside: “resolving” a post does not suggest that issue is fixed or that we’re done investigating. It simply means that this particular post is not being tracked currently because either a report was entered into our system for further investigation, or we haven’t gotten information we’ve requested from you. Simply responding reopens an issue and alerts us to fact that you have done so.

I’m using a listen server host method, exactly like in Multiplayer Shootout example. Clients can drop in and out at any time. Clients sees 9999 ping on every host when they get a session list (BP posted in first post). Nobody can see a real ping. 100% of all cases do not see a ping other than 9999 of any game session, no matter who creates a game. If this is a firewall issue, every firewall blocks only ping information, but playing game is not affected at all it seems.

I’ll have to test disconnect issue further with longer waiting periods and will tell you after testing.

Here is my Steam folder:

55704-steamappsfolder.jpg

Or do you mean this folder? It has a logs folder but it’s empty

55705-steamfolder2.jpg

Okay, it looks like Unloved is name of your game? In that case, Saved\Logs folder should be in there. Can you get some logs from both someone playing as Listen Server and someone playing as Client, and attach them here?

I apologize we don’t have a good system for testing packaged games in Steam set up yet, but I’m working to set that up with networking devs here now. Until then, I kinda need to feel around what this looks like through you guys.

No problem, I really hope I don’t come across as rude or something, it’s just a very annoying problem and I’m not a native English speaker, so I hope my language is adequate :slight_smile:

logs directory as posted in my second screenshot above is empty.

Here is another screenshot of unloved\unloved folder in Steam, but I can go through all sub-directories and there are no logs to be found. That’s all directories I can think of to look for logs

55706-steamfolder3.jpg

Okay, sorry for delay, still trying to figure out why you’re not getting logs. Can you find where Steam is installing game for people who get it through Steam? I’m wondering if there’s another location we’re missing.

And just to make sure I’m understanding you correctly, other than ping report, players are able to connect and all other features are working correctly?

folder I showed earlier is installation folder where Steam puts game into (steamapps/common/UNLOVED).

After further investigation, it seems that current number of players always shows 1, no matter how many players are actually currently in game.

Blue669,

Sorry for delay. I’ve been trying to reproduce this here but haven’t made any headway, and I’m still not sure why you don’t get logs in game’s folder. I’m still testing a couple of possibilities, but if you wouldn’t mind sending me project to investigate that may prove helpful. You can up project (minus Saved and Intermediate folders) and upload it someplace secure like Google Drive or Dropbox, then send me a link privately via PMs on forums:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/private.php

Sorry, it’s a commercial game and project is several gb in file size, can’t package that for you.

Well, I haven’t been able to reproduce 9999 ping here when adding a Shipping Win64 build to Steam and opening on two different systems at two different locations. If you have time, I’d like you to download this small test project:

Run the .exe as you would your game (add it to your Steam library and run on two different systems). Click Host on one system, and once it says “Creation Successful,” click Find on other. Wait a minute or less and ping should appear on Client. Let me know if it doesn’t.

Without being able to see what’s causing ping miscalculation in your project, and with no logs to look at, there isn’t much more I can do. only other thing I can ask you to try is to build game as a Development build and try same thing, then get those logs. I think reason you’re not finding logs is because it’s a shipping build.

I have seen this issue pop up for a few people on AnswerHub, so I’d like to nail it down. If I can figure it out somewhere else, I’ll post here and let you know.

Hey Blue669,

I’m going to resolve this issue until you get a chance to test project I included above and let me know information I requested. Once you respond, I’ll reopen and continue investigating.

We have same problem (ping 9999, and Close Connection) trying to join MultiplayerShootout (Development build) with Steam client.

Here logs warnings:

Join request: /Game/Maps/MainMenu?Name=otheruser?SplitscreenCount=1
Join succeeded: otheruser
Server connection received: ActorChannelFailure
Warning: UControlChannel::ReceivedBunch: NetConnection::Close() [GameNetDriver] [MyPlayerController_C_2] [MyPlayerController_C_2] from failed to initialize PlayerController channel. Closing connection.
UNetConnection::Close: Name: SteamNetConnection_1, Driver: GameNetDriver SteamNetDriver_0, PC: MyPlayerController_C_2, Owner: MyPlayerController_C_2, Channels: 9, RemoteAddr: 76561198201860191:7777,

61995-multiplayershootout.png

link text

[link text][2]

Please download this small test project and follow repro instructions above, and let me know if same problem occurs in that project. Thanks!

I’m wondering if I’m having same problem. I have it set up right, tested your pingtest project and it showed just a ping, which I’m guessing is all it should have shown? That its not a firewall issue?
My project when I search for server it most of time will show nothing and sometimes shows server with 9999 ping and sometimes it shows server with right ping but 0/0 players and no name and unjoinable…

Why is it that it compiles into a folder that says steamworksv132 when I am using v134?

I originally just had code from unreal docs for subsystem, then I copied code you had from your pingtester to be sure since yours obviously showed…

It does this same thing… rest is all fine though, overlay works, gets id… names my servers after steam id, and shows when someone in another home starts playing it on their steam.

Do you think since sometimes it shows up as same perfectly buy with a 9999 ping and unjoinable that I have same issue? or since sometimes it shows as 0/0 with no name and right ping and most of time doesn’t show up that its not same issue?

After a conversation with Rift Keeper over forums PM, we were unable to find source of problem (project would not open on my side). For now, I am resolving this post for tracking purposes. If you are able to provide any further information to help us reproduce ping problem and you’ve tried both disabling all firewalls and tested project above, please post here and we will continue investigating. Thank you!

Has anyone found a solution to this problem we have same thing in our project. Evety client sees every hosts game ping as 9999. We are all able to connect and play game fine and there is no lag in game

1. Have you tried this after disabling all firewalls? Have you tried on two system with no firewall?
  2. Have you downloaded test project noted above and had same problem?
  3. Can you reproduce problem in a new project?
  4. Can you get me a download link so I can test it here?
  1. yes we tried both youre project and our own project on two different systems both signed into steam with all antivirus, and firewalls turned off.

2. yes still same ping

3)yes we just started a brand new multiplayer shootout project, package it up and launch on both computers always still 999 ping

1. do u need just our packaged game or project?

thanks

It would be better to see project. You can upload zipped project somewhere like Dropbox or Google Drive and send me a download link via PM on forums: