Steam Overlay not working in 4.15

I have been trying with the default shootergame project and my own project to get the Steam overlay working since we went to 4.15 and nothing seems to work. I understand it is now a plugin and I have enabled it in the editor for the plugin for onlinesubsystemsteam. However, I consistently get this error:

LogOnline:Display: STEAM: Loading Steam SDK 1.32
LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Steam API disabled!
LogOnline:Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()

I have tried this with my own shootergame-based project that was working in 4.12 AND the default, just-downloaded shootergame for 4.15. As I said, I have this working right now in 4.12, so I am well aware of all of the obvious fixes such as running it in “standalone” mode, settings for the .ini, etc.

Any ideas on what I need to differently?

Also, I am really disappointing with the lack of documentation on these major changes for how basic functionality like Steam integration will work. I would expect addendum or errata to the documentation or AT LEAST something in the release notes, but I can’t find where epic has documented the change of the Steam Overlay/API at all. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

This question comes up a lot, so I made a thread for 4.13, which I just went over again to make sure its still working.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/484873/413-steam-setup-not-working.html

In the thread, there is an example project, the patch notes explaining the change and general trouble shooting to solve the issue(s) of implementing the Steam online subsystem.