Steam Online Subsystem Not Working For Me

Hey y’all. Dragging my head back to the forums to get some help again haha.

So I recently tried following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDzjOV2wUg and when trying to do the OSS setup it just didn’t work. I enabled the plugins, configured the DefaultEngine.ini and did everything he did in the video and my steam popup just won’t show. I retried everything and it still didn’t work. He’s my log for the project, can someone smarter than me help please?

Can’t recall exactly, but I don’t think TAB for the Steam popup works until you’ve pushed a build to Steam ( could be wrong there ).

It used to work with standalone, but now I think it only works with a packaged build.

The only stuff I have in DefaultEngine is

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=xxx
SteamAppId=xxx

( Obviously your app IDs )

Here is my DefaultEngine.ini file contents right now:

[/Script/Engine.CollisionProfile]
+Profiles=(Name=“Projectile”,CollisionEnabled=QueryOnly,ObjectTypeName=“Projectile”,CustomResponses=,HelpMessage=“Preset for projectiles”,bCanModify=True)
+DefaultChannelResponses=(Channel=ECC_GameTraceChannel1,Name=“Projectile”,DefaultResponse=ECR_Block,bTraceType=False,bStaticObject=False)
+EditProfiles=(Name=“Trigger”,CustomResponses=((Channel=Projectile, Response=ECR_Ignore)))

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam
bHasVoiceEnabled=true

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
SteamDevAppId=480
bInitServerOnClient=true

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName=“OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection”

[/Script/EngineSettings.GameMapsSettings]
EditorStartupMap=/Game/Levels/FirstPersonExampleMap.FirstPersonExampleMap
LocalMapOptions=
TransitionMap=
bUseSplitscreen=True
TwoPlayerSplitscreenLayout=Horizontal
ThreePlayerSplitscreenLayout=FavorTop
GameInstanceClass=/Script/Engine.GameInstance
GameDefaultMap=/Game/FirstPersonBP/Maps/FirstPersonExampleMap
ServerDefaultMap=/Engine/Maps/Entry
GlobalDefaultGameMode=/Game/FirstPersonBP/Blueprints/FirstPersonGameMode.FirstPersonGameMode_C
GlobalDefaultServerGameMode=None

[/Script/IOSRuntimeSettings.IOSRuntimeSettings]
MinimumiOSVersion=IOS_12

[/Script/HardwareTargeting.HardwareTargetingSettings]
TargetedHardwareClass=Desktop
AppliedTargetedHardwareClass=Desktop
DefaultGraphicsPerformance=Maximum
AppliedDefaultGraphicsPerformance=Maximum

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName=“TP_FirstPersonBP”,NewGameName=“/Script/MotherTree”)
+ActiveGameNameRedirects=(OldGameName=“/Script/TP_FirstPersonBP”,NewGameName=“/Script/MotherTree”)

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False
r.GenerateMeshDistanceFields=True
r.CustomDepth=3

[Voice]
bEnabled=true

[/Script/Engine.AudioSettings]
VoiPSampleRate=Normal24000Hz

[/Script/Engine.GameSession]
bRequiresPushToTalk=true

I’m sure you can test this without having your game on steam, that’s why 480 is a test game id for steam.

Ok quick update: I got the LogOnline message to appear in my -log for standalone

[2026.09.19-20.11.18:807][ 0]LogOnline: OSS: Creating online subsystem instance for: STEAM
[2026.09.19-20.11.18:807][ 0]LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steam API disabled!
[2026.09.19-20.11.18:808][ 0]LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()

this is what im getting. any clue on fixing this?

I solved it! I had to create a shortcut to launch the game and i was missing my steam_api64.dll file. I ended up just copying it from a game on my steam and pasted it into my win64 folder.

If anyone needs additional help with this same issue please dm me on discord!