Hi. I have been trying to figure out whats wrong here. Development builds work great, and steamworks functions as expected.
But when packaging a shipping build, steam just dissapares and will not work with the game. Ive added the app_id and DLLs to every directory there is with no results. I found this on the wiki:
Make sure to include the Unreal Engine Steam module as part of your project. (see Unreal Build System Target Files for additional help)
Adding the following should be enough to make sure that the Steam module is built along with your game. It goes inside the constructor of mygame.build.cs
But when adding the above line to the game.build.cs it just generates compile error:
Error 1 error CS0103: The name 'DynamicallyLoadedModuleNames' does not exist in the current context c:\Users\Fox\Documents\Unreal Projects\game\Source\game.Target.cs 13 9 game
Error 2 error : UnrealBuildTool encountered an error while compiling source files C:\Users\Fox\Documents\Unreal Projects\game\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC game
Error 3 error CS0103: The name 'DynamicallyLoadedModuleNames' does not exist in the current context c:\Users\Fox\Documents\Unreal Projects\game\Source\game.Target.cs 13 9 game
Error 4 error : UnrealBuildTool encountered an error while compiling source files C:\Users\Fox\Documents\Unreal Projects\game\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC game
At this point im stuck and I cant get steam to work with a shipping build, forcing me to use development builds for the time being. I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks.
I am having the same problem but following this did not solve it.
Could you give me the exact location where to put the steam_app.txt, is it as Rama said to “YourGame/Binaries/Win32” (in which case I would have to create those new folders) or is it that he refers to YourGame/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/Steamworks/Steamv132/Win64 folder? I take it that adding the txt file is done before compiling the shipping version of the game? Thanks!
Make sure to place the steam_appid.txt next to the executables of your packaged build. (For example, a win64 build would have its executables here: TheGame\Binaries\Win64) Also make sure steam online subsystem is activated in the plugins browser in the editor etc.
The steam_appid.txt file is added after you have compiled and packaged your game, so the folders are already created and it needs to be placed next to the games main binary/exe files.
Ok this is strange. Yesterday when I did this, it fixed the problem with Steam not loading. I updated my game via Steamworks and released. Now when I launch the game, it no longer fixes the problem. I’ve got my steam_appid.txt file in the binaries folder along with the exe but when you launch the game, Steam’s overlay doesn’t work anymore. I’m very confused.