Steam dedicated server connection not working

Hi, I’m trying to connect to a dedicated server with Steam, but when I use the “open IP:port” command on the console, nothing happens. Without Steam it works, but with Steam it doesn’t. The server and the client are not giving errors in the logs.

This is the log of the server:

Hey Scienziatogm,

There’s a currently unresolved known issue with 4.10.1 and beyond (UE-24894) in which packaged games cannot find sessions on the same machine. Are you attempting to connect to instances of the game on the same machine? When you say with or without Steam, are you referring to running the Steam Client, or using the Steam OSS in the project’s DefaultEngine.ini?

I opened a topic here: Dedicated server with Steam is a joke - C++ - Unreal Engine Forums
but none knows how to resolve this problem.
I’m running a dedicated server on a bought VPS, so it’s not on the same machine.
If I run the game and the dedicated server without the OSS Steam, I can connect to servers and play, while if I run the game with the OSS Steam, I can’t connect to servers.

I tried using the project by TheMunky linked in the thread here: Unreal Engine 4.8 Pre. 4 Steam Issues - Platform & Builds - Unreal Engine Forums
(File Dropper - Online file sharing)
I can find the session, but when I join, it says “Failed”, so the join is failing for some reason.

That project wasn’t working to begin with, but after some changes I was able to make it work. I’ve read through the forums thread you linked to, and it seems to indicate a setup problem on your end. I’ve asked the developers to look at the thread to see if they can catch anything I may have missed, but they’re a bit busy and I don’t know if they’ll get to it. I’ll continue attempting to assist in the meantime.

I would suggest starting a new project in the binary version of 4.10.2 and set it up the same way. If the same issues persist, then I’d share as much of the process as you did, including code and every step of the process. If the issue does not occur in a new project, then we can at least narrow it down to a problem with the code in your current project.

Incidentally, you may wish to reign in your friend Zeb89 on that forums thread. The people there are being generally friendly and trying to help. His behavior may drive them away.

I would also ask this: are you using a Shipping Build? I’m assuming this is a C++ project… are you using C++ to create the session, or Blueprints?

Does the same issue occur in your project if you revert to using the 480 AppID?

What changes did you make to get it working? That was a clean project with some basic sessions, so why is it not working? We will try to use the 480 app ID.

We’ve tried the Epic Games launcher version, Github version and get the same issue. The connection seems to time out when joining the server. Without Steam there are no issues.

We’re using always development builds, both with C++ and Blueprints.

EDIT: We’re having the saming issue with the 480 app ID: the game finds the session, but it fails joining.

That sounds like more of a port or firewall issue than anything else. Can you test this on two systems that are NOT behind a firewall? Can you also attach your project’s DefaultEngine.ini file?

Thanks Ben for the support. Now we made the listen server work, but the dedicated server is still not working as you can see in the topic.

Hi Ben. Our situation is depressing.

Our game has been greenlit and over 7000 yes voters are waiting for our first public release. We are stuck because of this issue. I sincerely hope you can put us through to someone in the right department who can help us out.


Unfortunately I can’t help much at this point. The people helping on the forums are much more knowledgeable, having gone through the Steam dedicated server process themselves (we can’t test much here without a fake greenlit project, which is not a possibility at this point). I will ping the developers again on Monday to see if they have any bandwidth to help, but since it does not appear to be a bug and is instead likely a setup issue, I don’t know what to expect. I will let them know the situation.

In the meantime, if you’d like to send a download link to a zipped copy of the project to me via PM on the forums, I’d be happy to take a look and, if they can spare the time, make it available to the devs. You can reach me here:

In the meantime, I recommend continuing the discussion with the forums folks, and answering any questions they might have for you. It’s not impossible that one of them might be able to look at your project as well to offer insight, though obviously I could not promise anything in that regard.

I will keep this post open and unresolved for now so I can keep tracking it and the forums post.

Hi Ben. Thanks for the reply. Now I’m trying to do the system that I want in the engine code, because I need to authenticate the clients via Steam, and there is no documentation about how to do that, so now I’m trying to use the Steam API directly from the engine identity subsystem interface.

Hi Scienziatogm,

It looks like you’ve got a handle on the situation based on the forums post you linked. Please let us know if you discover a bug in the process, and I can enter a report for it. I will resolve this post for now, but feel free to comment on this answer and I’ll be alerted. Thanks!