Download

Steam Dedicated server API Failed to initialize

Hi everyone, i have followed the Engine documentation to set up the steam configuration for server and client, right now I’m trying to get steam to recognize the server, but I’m getting this on the dedicated server input.

[2021.06.17-19.56.00:709][ 0]LogOnline: OSS: Creating online subsystem instance for: Steam
[2021.06.17-19.56.00:716][ 0]LogSteamShared: Warning: Steam Dedicated Server API failed to initialize.
[2021.06.17-19.56.00:716][ 0]LogOnline: STEAM: [AppId: 0] Game Server API initialized 0
[2021.06.17-19.56.00:716][ 0]LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Failed to initialize Steam, this could be due to a Steam server and client running on the same machine. Try running with -NOSTEAM on the cmdline to disable.
[2021.06.17-19.56.00:716][ 0]LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()
[2021.06.17-19.56.00:716][ 0]LogOnline: Warning: STEAM: Steam API failed to initialize!
[2021.06.17-19.56.00:716][ 0]LogOnline: Display: STEAM: OnlineSubsystemSteam::Shutdown()

Im using a source build of UE4.26.2 with steamworks v1.47

Thanks in advance.

Are you testing in the editor? Because that’s not going to work.

Ho STRiFE, I’m compiling the project and lounching it as an executable with the following shortcut inputs: -log HBMap -port=7780

HBMap is the map I’m using, and 7780 is the port, -log is just for the Dedicated Server window to display.

Ah, unfortunately I’m not familiar with dedicated servers so this was my only guess.

bump

Hey there, I get the same error and its freaking me out. Do you have your own AppiD? Are you using c++ or Blueprints? Are you running your server on the same machine as steam is running? I read and its also in the logs that steam doesnt like that which is still weird for me because Im running the server via AWS. I followed this tutorial: How to Host Your UE4 Dedicated Server on AWS for FREE - YouTube

Also is it shipping build or development?
If you have your own AppId, did you fill all the info in the dedicated section in steamworks and publish it?
Maybe we can work this out together :slight_smile: Im not a pro and just learning this stuff .

I do have my appID, its a shipping build, I have not filled the dedicated section because the servers will not be public for the moment, but i need the server to get and detect the Dedicated server API.

Hey again, I think you have to try with filling out the dedicated section and matching it with the engine. ini and also with target.cs. I mean these lines both servertarget.cs and gametarget.cs

GlobalDefinitions.Add(“UE_PROJECT_STEAMGAMEDESC=“Your Game””); // Just the name of your game - like in steamworks dedicated server section

GlobalDefinitions.Add(“UE_PROJECT_STEAMPRODUCTNAME=“yourgame””); // match this with steamworks dedicatedserver section

GlobalDefinitions.Add(“UE_PROJECT_STEAMGAMEDIR=“yourgame””); // same as above

GlobalDefinitions.Add(“UE4_PROJECT_STEAMSHIPPINGID=yourappid”);

also make sure steamclient is installed on the server machine which is hosting the game and open all the neccessary ports : Required Ports for Steam - Steam Support

for me it helped, I can now init steam on my dedicatedserver and also from client machine join the server