Steam Controller support

So, Steam Controllers have started shipping. In fact, I got mine today.

I know that as of right now, UE4 supports the beta-model Steam Controllers, but not the modern ones (which, for example, no longer have the touch screen).

I’m not actually 100% sure that there even exists a Steam Controller API anymore, but I BELIEVE that it does, and if so, it’d be nice if UE4 could interface with it (to do things like change the way the touchpads function based on events that happen in-game, such as entering a vehicle or something).

I second this. I received a controller in the mail today. Apparently, the controller has its own built-in mouse compensation algorithms for one of the thumbpads that is ******** up some mechanics I prepared. I would like some built-in Unreal Engine support for the controller so that I can access if a finger is touching a thumb pad or not, for example.

Edit: The asterisks above auto censored the gerund form of “screw”.

I second this. I received a controller in the mail today. Apparently, the controller has its own built-in mouse compensation algorithms for one of the thumbpads that is ******** up some mechanics I prepared. I would like some built-in Unreal Engine support for the controller so that I can access if a finger is touching a thumb pad or not, for example.

[/QUOTE]

Made doubly complicated by the fact that Steam Controller only sends a certain kind of poorly-configured preset data if Steam isn’t directly interfacing with the program in question.

I wonder if I could open UE4 usjng Steam to try it out…

[/QUOTE]

Maybe common interface for touch pads, which would also work with PS4 touchpad

I BELIEVE UE4 already supports DS4 touchpad… the problem is, there are no DS4 drivers for PC that I’m aware of (though there’s an excellent XInput wrapper program that also converts touchpad input to mouse input) so said support only works for games built for PS4.

Also, I can’t figure out how to launch my game via Steam. Since UE4 wants to launch via the Epic Launcher, it doesn’t seem like Steam can see the engine directly.

I got a steam controller, however the buttons don’t map correctly with standard XInput mappings. the B button on the controller acts as the A button (normally on xbox controller or X on PS4).

Is there a proper way to configure this? The mappings seem totally screwed up. I have the steam controller plug-in activated.

Tried setting up a game with the steam controller today, the back left and back right bindings don’t seem to bind to anything. 4.10.2

I got a Steam Controller, and impossible to use in UE4 Editor.
There is a SteamController API for UE4 ? In order that all buttons are recognized, especially Pads…
Thanks !

Okay, as a “veteran” of the Steam Controller I feel I should point out that the bindings Epic supports for the SC only apply to the beta hardware, not the final commercial design.

Furthermore, it is a limitation of the SC at the moment that it can only interface with programs launched through Steam itself. You have to set up a custom shortcut in Steam that Launches your game to test the SC’s interacting with it.

Thirdly, by default the SC only sends a combination of Kb/M and XInput data, with all SC messages being converted internally at the Steam level before interfacing. The SC does not have its own “blind” control output; instead, native support means the game offers up inputs to be exposed to Steam (internally; for UE4 it would be like showing InputAction Mappings) and the SC calls those. There is no such thing as a “left grip message” anymore. The button either sends a KB/M action, an XInput action, or a game action.