Steam Controller Joystick-Axis Input not working

I’m currently working on a project where we would like to use a Steam Controller as our main input device. By running Steam in the background you can make the Steam Controllers Inputs accessible to other applications. This does work both in the editor and when the game is palyed in Standalone Mode.

However Axis Events are not registered whatsoever. We tried every possible combination of settings both in the Input section in UE aswell as every possible configuration for the Steam Controller.

How can we get access to the Axis Values of the Steam Controllers Joystick?

Hello Ovux,

I’ll need to get a hold of a Steam Controller so I can test this, but in the meantime, could you check to ensure that the Steam Controller isn’t currently set to mimic your WASD or Arrow Keys instead of actually using Axis Inputs when being used in UE4?

Hello Matthew!

The Controller is actually set to mimic WASD at the momemt as a workaround. We basicly use the Controller like a wireless keyboard at this point. But whenever we change the bindings to “Joystick” mode with a x/y-Axis Output it suddenly stops working.

Using “showdebug input” we found out that there are no events that are triggered (from the joystick itself) when in Joystick mode. When we switch the Steam Controller back to “WASD” Mapping the events fire just fine.

Thank you for that information, after looking into it more, do you have the Steam Controller plugin enabled inside of your project? You can find this by opening Edit > Plugins, selecting “Built In” and searching for “Steam”. If it isn’t working correctly for you after this, I’ll need to place a bug report in, although these issues may be due to our integration being out of date which should be getting updated in a future version.

We haven’t heard from you in a while, Ovux. Are you still experiencing these issues? If so, have you tried enabling the plugin I mentioned? What were the results? In the meantime, I’ll be marking this as resolved for tracking purposes.

The Steam Controller Plugin was in fact disabled. But sadly turning it on didn’t help either. I am still not getting any axis input from the left Thumbstick. Can i provide any other information to help you solve this problem?

Thank you for trying with that enabled, Ovux. I’m getting the same results on my end but I wanted to see if that would fix it for you before placing a bug report in. I’ve entered a report and you can find it here: UE-37240 It’s possible that we’re doing something wrong, but from what I understand it just isn’t working correctly at this time. I’ll let you know if I hear anything else about this issue but you should be able to track its status by following that link.