Static Meshes Inside Character BP's Have No Collision? Why?

Not sure how I never realized this before, but if I add a static mesh inside of a Character BP (as a component) that mesh will never collide with anything.

Keep in mind I confirmed that the assigned mesh (cube for example) does in fact have simple collision and is set to “Block All”

But when used as a component inside the Character BP - no collision.

Can someone please explain or steer me in the right direction ???

Sounds strange. Might be a problem with parent of the component as the character uses the capsule to navigate. Is the component child to the root? What are you trying to collide with?

Hey thanks for your response - these screenshots show my problem.

Pic 1) You can see the cube mesh attached to the character

Pic 2) When I turn to face the wall - cube mesh collision is ignored

The cube has assigned simple collision confirmed - Set to “Block All”

This happens with trigger volumes and all collisions of all assets (other BP’s as Children, etc)

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that if you’re looking to have collision based on a static mesh, you need to do so with a pawn instead of a character. Someone else might be able to tell better, but “character” blueprint collision seems entirely based on their capsule for performance. You may or may not be able to change that with some C++ or a work around?

The link below shows a quick 4 min tutorial - where the content provider accomplishes adding a collision component inside of a character BP, by attaching a collision sphere to a skeleton bone (via an Attach to Component node)

I tried this as well and could not achieve any collision during the process

So I know it can be done, but I just don’t realize what I’m missing here…

But he is using a special collision component, not a static mesh.
Though it might be that character movement depends entirely on the capsule (note that the movement is not physics based), I would assume that the components at least overlap or collide with other objects as seen in the video.

If you need it to influence movement, you would need to make changes to the CharacterMovementComponent.