Static Mesh Import: Remove Degenerates disables Material Collision

When unchecking “Remove Degenerates” at the Import options (both normal and Scene Importer) the Collision for the Materials will be disabled. Please either change this behavior, or at least add a hint on the Tooltip that it will have this effect.

Hi Alex,

I’ve submitted a ticket for this that you can track here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-40729)

As a note, unless you’re using per-poly collision by enabling the Collision Complexity option for Use Complex as Simple this option will have no effect.

Thanks for the report!

It is now 3.5 years later and I just spent 6 days trying to find out why my complex collisions weren’t working. Turns out “Remove Degenerates” was the problem. (This was further complicated by the fact that static meshes that are smaller than 1, even on only one axis, don’t generate collisions.) Please make this a priority to prevent further wasted time. Adding a tooltip is a fine solution, but the user needs to be informed about this.

Googling the problem turned up a few topics about this, but not this one. This one only appeared when I found the solution and google for: “Remove degenerates ue4”.

So in hopes of helping others;
The image below is from a mesh that i imported on a new project. Take note of the import settings specifically. Those should work. It’s probably just the Remove degenerates options during import of a static mesh, but in case that doesn’t work, try comparing the settings in this image to what you have.

I’ll type some tags here:

• Enable collision
  • No complex collision
  • No complex collisions
  • No collisions being generated.
  • LOD enable collision
  • enable collision LOD

1 Like