Static Mesh Blue Print Door

Hello, why the door stay like this when i put blueprint?

Basically I have created this door that closes and open, but the lighting on it is strange.
StaticMesh(BluePrint)

Can I see a video of you rotating the camera around the door?

You can upload a video on YouTube and link it here if you cannot post videos.

1 Like

Super helpful video. Thank you!

Also, very strange. I’ve never seen this before, so this is what I’d like for you to do (unless someone else jumps in, having seen this before.)

1. When you duplicate the door (mesh) does it have the same brightness?
  2. Does the door use the same material as all the other doors?
  3. Can you see the door when there is no light? (I ask, because it might be emitting light.)

Thank you for reply,

Yes, it uses the same materials but the mesh when building the lighting it’slook correct.

it’s strange I created a box and when I put the Blueprints in it they look self-illuminated

Do me a favor, and change the material of ELEMENT 3 of the door. (Around the 0:30 mark).

Choose any other material you’d like.

If the door does not glow, then it is DEFINITELY the material.

The fact that it is that bright WITHOUT light makes me think that there’s an emissive quality in the material instance… (I doubt the parent material, because EVERYTHING would look bright… assuming that the parent material is used for many/all of the other meshes/assets).

(PS: I’m ignoring what you said about the box, for now. I want to rule out the material first.)

Hello again, im trying but nothing ,all stay the same.

1Âş I change the door to other model
2ÂşChange Parent Material, in the 1Âşpicture i placed Mesh and in the 2Âş picture i build the light
3Âş picture i make BluePrint and placed again on the scene but with the same results , its stay like in the second picture :smiling_face_with_tear:

Actors like your door are spawned at runtime. Thus Static lighting for them will not bake. You need to use dynamic lighting.

Mesh needs to cast dynamic shadows.

Could you clarify, for my understanding?

I would have thought that, but he posted a video where the door is not spawned during runtime.

Placed Actors (blueprint/C++) are spawned at runtime. The simple fact they are dynamic (moving parts) means that static lighting will not work on them.

You can see this by dragging in the mesh itself and rebuilding. The mesh will get the proper lighting because it’s a “Static” actor. The BP actor will not.

You’ll need a dynamic lighting source in scene and have the mesh cast and receive dynamic shadows.

3 Likes

I did not know that. Thank you!

Hello, thank you very much, very useful information.

Dynamic lighting you mean Movable? Because i have Movable Light in the scene but the door look the same like no Baked.

Where can i set Cast and Receive Dynamic shadows

Thank you again!

From what I understand if you want to use interactive blueprints it has to be with lumen.

Thank you guys for help!

1 Like

Hell yeah! Congrats!

Using Lumen won’t really fix your issue, it only hides it.

Lumen is basically a ray-tracer so if you use it, it doesn’t matter if the objects/shadows/lights are static or not, Lumen treats them in the same way.
However, this comes at a cost in performance (a very very high cost to be honest).

To fix this problem, you’ll need to use some dynamic lighting, just like RevOverDrive mentioned above:

More about this topic here:

2 Likes

Adding to this… Lumen does not support Baked lighting (Static). IF the level is using static baked lighting it’ll be discarded as soon as you enable Lumen.

To get around this you have to use Post Process volumes in which you disable lumen. Outside the volume can use Lumen, while the inside will not.

3 Likes

Yes its working i aplied to static mesh (LightMapType_Force Surface) and now movable Mesh work after baked the scene.

1 Like