Standalone game crashes (access violation)

Been working on this project for months. All of a sudden Standalone Game (launched from editor) has started to crash with this log from the Crash Reporter.
Mind the third line (Access violation)

The dmp file (when opened in VIsual Studio) reads : The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Log from Crash Reporter :

> MachineId:EA85965B4FF40F18E088D296AEE6CE02
> EpicAccountId:25ebd8f1454040e396a3b75730c35153
> 
> Access violation - code c0000005
> (first/second chance not available)
> 
> UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::GetDefaultPhysicsVolume()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\world.cpp:3576]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::UpdatePhysicsVolume()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\components\scenecomponent.cpp:2233]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::UpdateOverlaps()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\components\scenecomponent.cpp:2425]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::MoveComponentImpl()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\components\scenecomponent.cpp:2518]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::SetRelativeLocationAndRotation()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\components\scenecomponent.cpp:1006]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::SetRelativeTransform()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\components\scenecomponent.cpp:1132]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USceneComponent::SetWorldTransform()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\components\scenecomponent.cpp:1229]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USCS_Node::ExecuteNodeOnActor()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\scs_node.cpp:125]
> UE4Editor_Engine!USimpleConstructionScript::ExecuteScriptOnActor()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\simpleconstructionscript.cpp:531]
> UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::ExecuteConstruction()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actorconstruction.cpp:669]
> UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::RerunConstructionScripts()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actorconstruction.cpp:469]
> UE4Editor_Engine!ULevel::IncrementalUpdateComponents()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\level.cpp:904]
> UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::PreSaveRoot()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\world.cpp:733]
> UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UPackage::Save()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\savepackage.cpp:3504]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Save()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:3953]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::SavePackage() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:4013]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Exec_Obj()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorserver.cpp:4443]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Exec()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorserver.cpp:5537]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Exec()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedsrv.cpp:624]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!SaveWorld()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\filehelpers.cpp:553]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorFileUtils::SaveWorlds()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\filehelpers.cpp:3376]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::SavePlayWorldPackages()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:2133]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::SaveWorldForPlay()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:1249]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::PlayStandaloneLocalPc()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:1321]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::StartQueuedPlayMapRequest()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:1098]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1306]
> UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:371]
> UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2834]
> UE4Editor!GuardedMain()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:156]
> UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
> UE4Editor!WinMain()
> [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.13+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
> UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh()
> [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
> kernel32 ntdll

Hey Sunchaser,

I have a few questions regarding this crash in order to gather more information:

• Could you please cause the crash to occur again and provide the logs from your project’s Saved->Logs folder?
  • Are you able to reproduce the crash in a clean project?
  • If so, please provide a detailed list of repro steps.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this issue.
I am not able to reproduce the crash in a clean project. It is just the one project.

Log file is here: http://pastebin.com/bGLUQ9GL

I guess this is the bad guy huh ? : "LogSpawn:Warning: SpawnActor failed because we are running a ConstructionScript (DefaultPhysicsVolume)"

Once again: thank you for your time.

Thanks for the logs, and no problem, glad to try and help.

So you have numerous errors as far as certain files failing to load, but I don’t think that’s what is causing the crash. Are you attempting to spawn actors in your construction script?

If so, could you provide a screenshot of your setup?

I agree with the numerous errors - I plan on fishing them out later today. But these do not cause this crash - I agree with that too.

Obviously I have many blueprints with construction scripts. I included one that was worked on almost at the same time as the error started occurring The construction node is not connected in this one so it shouldn`t be triggering anything - let alone this error:

Imgur

Update - standalone game no longer crashes (for now) but shows up in a small screen (almost a square). It completely ignores the resolutions I have set in the Advanced Settings under “Play in New Window” and “Play in standalone game”

I have seen a number of threads referring to the same thing happening , none of them really have a conclusive answer.

Not sure what is going on here.
Extra info: at the time of the crashes starting to happen I was also fiddling around with setting up a server etc (I m mentioning this cause there is some chatter about that in the answers - regarding the “small window” bug)

Hey Sunchaser,

I’m glad to hear that your game is no longer crashing in standalone. As a result, I’m going to mark this topic as resolved for the meantime. If the issue returns though, feel free to come back and post a comment to reopen the thread and I can continue to investigate.

For your other issue with the Standalone Window Size not displaying properly, please create a new Answerhub thread in the Bug Reports section for us to investigate, as this is a separate issue and we’d like to treat it as such.

Thanks!

coming back here - I’m not sure but I think the small resolution screen for “Play in new window” can be fixed by deleting intermediate and saved folders

I had a similar issue and I was able to fix it by deleting Binaries, Intermediate, and Saved folders. Then rebuild and re-COOK the project.