Staircase stutter and jitter

Is there a way to smooth the player’s movement up and down staircases? I have a staircase with a small rise for each step, but it looks like the player is in a paint shaker when they use the stairs.

Set the collision box for your staircase to be a flat slope. I’m assuming the collision is a box at each step in the staircase, so what’s happening is your player steps on the first step, then the next, then the next, etc., jumping up (or down) every step, making it look jittery.

So, instead of having the collision set at every step, just make a flat “/” shape collision from the bottom step to the top. That way, the player is walking up a continuous slope, and not jumping up every step.

I hope that made sense and helps the issue!

The problem with doing that is by the time you get the slope high enough to eliminate the jitter, the player looks like he’s seriously walking on air.

If anyone in the future is looking for a solution to this (at least a personal solution for what I had to do) this is what I did. I set up a foot ik system that allows you to place your foot on a platform procedurally so it actually looks realistic when moving. Through a tutorial by Ryan Laley I learned how to do this. Super simple Ill leave a link in here. After you’ve set that up, on your stairs create a collision box that is invisible in game and blocks everything except for visibility and camera (make sure it ignores those two channels). As for the main mesh of the stairs it needs to ignore everything in collision except for visibility and camera (these two need to be blocked). That’s basically the jist of what I had to do! Here’s the link for the IK system. Hope this helped someone!!!

2 Likes

我在最近才遇到了这个问题,我是这样解决的,希望对你有帮助:
我调整了角色的【胶囊体组件】,使它的大小与楼梯形成交集。
这样摄像机既能进行碰撞检测,又能避免上楼梯时镜头快速的在靠近和远离的状态间切换。
I just ran into this problem recently and I solved it like this, hope it helps:
I adjusted the character’s[Collision Cylinder] so that its size overlaps the stairs.
In this way, the camera can not only [Do Collison Test], but also avoid the rapid switching of the camera between approaching and moving away when going up the stairs.