Stainless steel material.

Is this available anywhere for Unreal. I have a kitchen sink and need it to have a stainless steel look (almost chrome).

Cheers

In my opinion the “M_Metal_Brushed_Nickel” from the starter content looks a little bit like stainless steel :slight_smile:

Attached image

Hi ,

I am trying to get the attached effect. Is this possible ?

Cheers

Yes its possible. :slight_smile:

Youtube Unreal Engine 4 Introduction to Materials. Part 1.

It is. Plug a 3 vector(greyish white color) to Base Color, 1 Metallic value and .2-.3 Roughness.

Hi ,

new to all this can you explain at idiot level please?

Cheers

That was the idiot level actually. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a screenshot;

It can’t be made simpler than this video and the instructions gave you:

?v=Yb4uu2NEC0E&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gbQjgY0nDwZNYe_N8IcYWS-&index=2

EDIT: Ninja’d

No offence intended but you really need to sit through a few of the tutorial videos, based on what you’ve said here.

attached image

Hi,

been through a lot of the starter material videos and filled my brain up as much as possible.

I created the material with the above settings and placed it onto the sink. It looks a slightly metallic with a blue hue to it but nothing like the real sink.

is there anything else I have to add to achieve the desired effect ?

Cheers

Can you show us the material setup please? It has a blue tint because the sky and the grey floor are the only things the sink can reflect in that scene. Put a skylight into the scene and plug an interior HDR cubemap to it and you’ll see the difference.

Hi ,

attached of my material settings and the scene after adding a skylight.
The sink has a lovely flat finish but black so nearly there.
How do I add an interior HDR cubemap.

I tried changing the source type to SLS specified cubemap but there are none in the drop down. Is this something I have to add.

Any tutorials on this new medieval magic I have to learn ?

Cheers

Well nevermind if you dont know what it is yet. You can just put it in one of the free projects from the marketplace and you’ll see it having proper reflections.

And please, go through this documentation whenever you have time for your own good so that you wont have to wait for an answer in the forums for everything and waste your time. Even the best of us heads there every once in a while so dont let it make you feel like a noob. :slight_smile:

https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/index.html

And dont forget Unreal Wiki for some handy bunch of tutorials!

https://wiki.unrealengine/Main_Page

Hi,

thanks for the links.

I have loaded a few free projects and found one with a skylight but did not find a ‘interior HDR cubemap’ .

Where will I find such a beast.

Cheers

It is not a must-have. It was just a suggestion so that you could see better reflections on the material without having to build a whole scene. You can grab any one of the HDR images HERE, import into the engine and put it in the Cubemap slot of your Sky light. Then your level is going to have additional lighting and reflection from that image.