Sprigs Devlog #6: The Floor is Lava?!? Physical Material Experiments

@rmsEG or @endofthehall, not sure if updating an existing post with a mention properly tags you, but wanted to draw attention to these

1 Like

yea sorry I missed wherever these were posted. But short answers:

1. can you post a screenshot, and a screenshot of the wireframe of the mesh you are trying to insert edges into? would have to investigate.
  2. some UE5.1 features will only be available when the public beta comes out, sorry
  3. unfortunately we don’t have these kind of customization controls yet. It’s a good point though and something we will try to do.
1 Like

Looks cool!

1 Like

Thank you! :blush: I’ve been enjoying learning so many new skills!

Thanks for the answers, @rmsEG ! I’m away from my pc but get you a screenshot when I get a chance to reproduce the edge insert issue. I didn’t think to look at the wireframe!

Glad to know that the corners tools will carry over to UEFN eventually :blush:

Thanks for the validation about my accessibility concern with the yellow and green lines! One workaround is that I can use a darker material for my floor and meshes so that the bright lines show up better. But accessibility options are always important :blush::pray:

Thanks Ray! I love having this level of granular control over my art in a UGC platform!

Commenting here to test whether it bumps last night’s Devlog update to Recent in the Forums. I’m not trying to abuse bumping, but since my devlog is one long post that I add to over the course of months my updates never register as new activity, which means they stay buried in the feed :slightly_smiling_face:.

Loving the little paw and leaf dirt spots <3

1 Like

Thanks, Tiny :pray: Later I’m gonna make water spills with little splashies! :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops: :sweat_drops:

Thanks for the update @Fresnella! I like reading about your process. Thanks for bringing up the prop documentation issue. :thinking:
Thanks for demonstrating the use of the modeling tools. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks, Jay, I appreciate hearing that! :slightly_smiling_face: There’s a lot more progress I haven’t posted yet, too! I love my game so far :heart_eyes: :potted_plant: I love thinking about how after Sprigs is released future players and creators will be able to scroll back through my process to see how Sprigs was made. I plan to continue to log my process even after the game releases, as I continue to make improvements to the game.

And yes, the modeling tools are so fun to show off! And posting my modeling videos has earned me some great protips from @Cleverlike_Studios :eyes:. That reminds me that later today I need to update my log with one of those tips.

1 Like

Said tip: Using the VSculpting tool in the Modeling Mode tool set is a REALLY efficient way to pull/push verts on meshes to create organic shapes. It’s prob the best way to quickly block out organic shapes on lowish poly models. It’s my go-to when I am modeling/sculpting meshes. :slight_smile:

@ time: 4:35

2 Likes

Thanks for introducing me to VSclpt, Ian! I’m going to use this one a lot. I added your tip to the body of my post with a link to your vid. :pray:
SprigsLog_VsculptPile

3 Likes

For the objects that use physical materials, did you use static meshes, SMactors, or props?

Hey there! I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what custom mesh/prop you put the material on, as long as you specify a Physical Material in the settings for the master Material and/or Material Instance! Anything you put your material on will take on the qualities of whatever Physical Material you have specified (footsteps, hit vfx etc). Physical Material belongs to the material not the object, and it is applied to any object that uses the material. Different instances of the same mesh/prop could have different Physical Material effects, depending on what material you apply to them. Let me know if it works for you!
Material:

Instance:

Nice to see people are still finding this Devlog! I’m still working on this project and I’ve made a lot of progress to share soon. I just haven’t shared it because I was taking a break from social media / forums.

This is simply incredible.
Thank you for all the work and the detailed post sharing :pray:

Extremely insightful! Thanks so much for sharing your journey!