Spherical stereoscopic rendering

Thanks for the info.
It would be great to have an option to render a cubemap view 12x1 instead of the equirectangular panorama, similar to Vray for stills so we could get higher quality stills.
Any plan on implementing something like this?

It’s not on top of our priorities to be honest at the moment. Quality is not an issue anyway, cubemap or equirectangular it’s the same.
You can always use free tools (like PTGui f.i.) to convert from/to equirectangular.

Bump. There’s an updated (longer) video in the link above so you can test the quality.
We will render the full 4:45 min video ASAP.

…It’s almost done! :wink:
8f312ca0603c0bd806295a75285ed280df193396.jpeg

…aaand here we go! :smiley:
You need an Android smartphone, the updated Youtube app and a Google Cardboard to enjoy the full experience, of course! :wink:
We tried to upload a 4K 60fps ODS version at first, but YouTube seems not to like it apparently… so we went back to 30fps and it seems to work now!
(Beware: quality depends A LOT on your broadband connection. And the audio is slightly out-of-sync, will fix it ASAP.)

cool stuff, in anticipation for my pending Oculus Rift I’ve been looking for a way to do this!! I got scenes that I want to render in full 360, stereo, ODS sounds even better!! I was looking at unity as well, and there is an asset that does panoramic 360 Stereoscopic, just that to get more photorealistic output Unreal Engine just looks better!! and to stumble onto your latest post just put me firmly back in the camp of using Unreal Engine for my project. just as a FYI, the unity 360 panoramic asset is 40$ and I thought that would be money well spent.

so depending on the usability of your plugin/guide if it works as advertised I’m more then happy to pay that amount. if you are looking for a beta tester feel free to message me, (though my new computer with a GTX 980 is arriving end of next week so wont be able to do anything before that arrives and get setup)

as for render times etc, my project I just want to render one scene (for about 5 min duration), though it is an outside scene, but just from one point no real moving around except turning around and general head movement, and I just want highest photorealistic quality possible so slow rendering time i dont care about if it gives me better end result. If it takes several days to render so be it…, as long as the result is good :slight_smile: and intention is to render the full 90fps for rift, and also highest res i can render for GearVR, and possible one version for cardboard, will see what I can do and what is worth doing.

eagerly awaiting updates!

We are very interested. We have a way of capturing our VR performances with headset and hand tracking and I can currently capture a monocular 360 video. But I just started on the stereo using a sweep and assemble strategy we have from our Unity setup but would gladly pay to save us the time. You can PM me with details if you want a customer to help test it out. Just let me know how much you are looking for with early access. Needs to be within the next couple of weeks to be useful to me. Otherwise we will just go ahead with converting our Unity solution to UE4.

So, besides the non ending demo sequences, is there any actual plans of releasing a working plugin? paid or unpaid?

Regards.

Hello!

Any news about the release of your plugin?

Thanks

Is this still alive? It’s been more than 2 months since the last update…

Bump. Would love to implement this in our projects.

Yeah, it’s still alive as well as we are! :wink:
We were experimenting with the built-in K&L plugin lately to see how it compares to our blueprint-based solution, and we can say our system may be less elegant, but it still fast and gets things done.
We can work on it in our (limited) spare time between paid works, but it’s not easy to clean it up to meet the Marketplace requirements (even if we haven’t decided yet what to do with it honestly…)
There’re still many things to polish before it’s ready for prime time, so please be patient… Yeah we know, it’s been in development like forever (don’t tell us…), but again, this is an internal tool we use for our job and to give it a proper look and feel for the masses requires some extra work (A LOT, to be honest)…
We’ll post some news very soon, we promise! :slight_smile: