Boiling Point

Boiling Point | Spellar Performance Challenge Entry | UE5 Pathtracing - YouTube

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:

• Megascans
  • Starter Asset Fire Texture

Optional

• Did you use Houdini?: Yes
  • Engine version: 5.3.0 (UE5-Main compiled Jan 2023)

Since this is the first challenge where use of the Path Tracer was allowed I wanted to really see how far I could push using high quality multi layer water simulations from Houdini.

My initial idea was to have the beginnings of a potion with some water boiling but instead of a cauldron to have it using more modern equipment.
Didn’t quite get there conveying that its intended to be a potion but pretty happy with how it turned out!

11 Likes

Hi there @DylserX,

Hope you’re having a spectacular week so far! :slight_smile:

What an insanely high-quality project. I’m completely blown away by the sheer amount of detail that was put into the lighting, the physics, and the waterdrop reflections. Super impressed!

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the challenge!

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Hope you are having a good week too!

Cheers

2 Likes

this is insane looking, phenomenal!!

2 Likes

Wow… I wonder how Houdini’s simulation data can be applied naturally in Unreal?

2 Likes

Wow. This is really incredible. The sim is really convincing as well as your shader work. Super cool!

2 Likes

This is my favorite submission.
It is a great representation of simulation in Houdini on UnrealEngine. The rendering with path tracing also creates a stunning quality. Amazing! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

+1 Vote because:

1. Great realism
  2. Lighting, postprocess and materials quality
  3. Water simulation is really hard, technically impressive!

The only thing I have to say is: How? :rofl:
Great work!

3 Likes

That water looks so freaking amazing, I can’t believe it! I haven’t looked into working with Houdini yet, but these results are definitely pushing me to.

Are you able to get this working in Unreal for gameplay, or is it too resource intensive?

2 Likes

Wowww!! :star_struck: I mainly use Houdini to do procedural modelling. This amazing simulation result encourages me to experiment more with simulation.
Bravooo wonderful art~!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Yeh it’s definitely doable, not quite at this fidelity but it does work, Ant Ausventure Update | More Foliage | QoL Improvements - YouTube

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Cheers!

Will be whipping up a breakdown at some point in the next few weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers mate!

Thanks!

Cheers!

1 Like

Woah! Now I wanna use the Path tracer!

1 Like

Greetings @DylserX !

I am spellbound! The quality of everything about this project is impeccably top-notch. The cinematography is absolutely phenomenal!

At first, you don’t know what to expect. Did a glass explode? Are these a giant’s tears? Then, the close-up still leaves us almost clueless as to what we’re looking at, but we’re fascinated nonetheless.

The bubbles are alive with activity from the dancing flames, and we discover a dangerously resplendent, raging boil. You’ve taken something we’ve all seen a million times in life and have made it a wonderment! Time to bring out the old Bunsen burner and beaker set! LOL! :scientist:

The lot of us are eagerly anticipating your video breakdown of this project. Stellar work! :dizzy:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! glad you enjoyed it!

Haha Hopefully breakdown will be up in the next 2 weeks or so, moving house right now!

Cheers

1 Like