Speedtree Wind Different in UE4

Hey everyone,

I’ve created a tree in Speedtree for UE4 and imported it into UE4. The only thing that doesn’t seem to be looking right is the wind. When i turn on wind (Full Strength) within Speedtree, my tree looks like this:

But when I apply wind within UE4 (Strength 1.0 / Speed 1.0) my tree looks more stiff:

I’ve tried to adjust the setting within all the materials of the tree, changed the Geometry Type, Wind Type, LOD Type - pretty much everything. Nothing I do seems to be able to replicate the wind effects that i get within Speedtree.

Does anyone know what I might be missing? Or has anyone solved this issue before??

Thanks.

The Same thing bothers me, leaves ripple in speed tree but not an engine. Overal quality is far better in speedtreee modeler

By the age of the thread, I assume you have fixed the problem. But for anyone else having issues with wind quality after importing, you may need to change your wind type setting from “fast” to something of higher quality such as “best”. This setting is found in your tree material, in the speedtree node.

Yeah, if you re-read the question, towards the end I specified that modifying any of the settings within the Speedtree material node didn’t make any difference.

Having more of an understanding now though, My best guess is that the issue lies with the shape of the leaf mesh/cutout. The mesh is a flat plane and doesn’t have enough poly density to allow UE4 to manipulate the shape of the leaf mesh. This is most-likely why the wind doesn’t ‘bend’ the leaf like in Speedtree’s wind preview.

That said, I could be completely wrong here but after creating more tree’s since then, I’ve always avoided the issue by creating better leaf meshes.

No, the problem is still there, it seems that UE doesn’t support that feature. It doesn’t matter what the leaf shape is, it is the same in Speed tree and UE. Btw I am lead artist on project SCUM. This is how the vegetation looks and it is a shame that the wind effect is not at the same level. If someone from Epic stuff is reading this feel free to help

Ah well there you go then. Luckily none of my recent projects suffered from this issue as it was too hard to tell due to the species of trees I made. At this point though im moving onto using the Pivot Painter for now as I feel there is more support for it.