Download

Specs for UE4- Will this do?

Hi there, I had a question about a computer I’m looking to buy. My current rid, which is pretty old, runs UDK more or less fine. I get some load waits and some FPS that are subpar at times.

I’m looking at a rig with the following specs:

AMD A10-6700 (3.70GHz)

+Memory
12G DDR3 1600MHz

+Hard Drive
1TB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

+Optical Drive
SuperMulti DVD RW

+Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 8670D

+Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet

+Power Supply
Peak 350W/ 300W

+Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

What are your honest opinions about this and how well or poorly do you think it will do, let’s say, running UE4 with a fairly high complex scene and multiple LODs.

Thank you kindly for any information you can provide me with.

:slight_smile:

I know different people have different budgets etc, but the rig you linked to, while “just” OK for now will not be “future-proof” particularly for game development. I recommend at minimum an i7 processor and an nVidia card (preferably GTX 970, but lower if not in the budget) with a mother board and PSU to support it. I’d recommend perusing Cyberpower-PC’s website for ideas on putting together a gaming rig -just my two cents.

I’ve always been a bit leery of Cyberpower-PC’s. Have you used one or do you know how well they operate? I’ve heard some people say they are bloated with nonessential software/payware.

While their prices are tempting, I’ve been burned with “too good to be true” things before. :frowning:

If you just put it together you’d save yourself a bit. Like why would you even need an optical drive? Who uses that? Ajnd if you already have a Windows disk laying around your house you don’t need to end up wasting money on getting that. Plus it allows you better modifications like going with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286 which will give you a significantly better performance to cost ratio. I wouldn’t be able to suggest anything more specific though since you never gave any budget.

I genuinely wouldn’t buy an AMD processor at the moment - they’re certainly cheaper, but they are consistently outperformed by their Intel counterparts.

I’d have no problem building my own, however, it really comes down to a time thing and I don’t mind paying a little extra to have someone do it for me.

Budget, I’d say $650 and below.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gxZgK8

This build right here is the same price as the one you were looking at and yet superior all it takes is the 30 minutes it requires to assemble the machine. An hour if you’re following along on an PC assembly guide if this is your first time (I suggest watching the one on Linus Tech Tips). Plus there is enough headroom to increase the GPU by a fair bit if you want to stay within your budget just look at the list of GPU drop downs available.

The case has its own power supply and you don’t need to get an aftermarket cooler.

As far as GPU’s–I’ve used a GTX 660 fine as well

Everyone needs to know that SSDs are the #1 concern for general speed improvements, apart from upgrading your graphics card.
The key is buying something fast, yet cheap and reliable. I’m getting the 1TB 840 EVO.

Other than that - stick with a fairly new and fast yet affordable CPU, and fairly recent motherboard etc. Sites like logicalincrements.com have already done all the dirty work for you.

P.S. does anyone know if adding a second SSD just for ue4, will improve peformance? I’ll probably do it anyway just to be sure…

Actually, SSD hasn’t made all that much of an improvment, my UE4 projects aren’t even on my SSD and things are fine. The things that will improve performance much more will be your graphics card and CPU, like way way way more than what an SSD can do for you.

An SSD can lead to a fair degree of improvement, but only in certain situations. This is because what the SSD is effecting is the read / write speed. This video shows a real time difference between an SSD and 10k RPM HDD when rendoring the same project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WHJ_p1iai0

When you’re loading shaders, bitmaps, and objects once you first open a scene or compile it you’ll see differences in speed. The same is said when searching libraries of information especially if those libraries are rather large. However, there are many aspects of the workflow that will not see any changes because the information has already been read. Such as when you’re moving the placement of an actor within your scene or running animations.

Be aware that not all SSDs are alike and it can be a good amount of research to find an SSD of suitable speed. I don’t recommend doing a “purchase what is cheap” for SSDs. Sticking to name brands such as Samsung are a good way to achieve quality if you don’t want to do research into the actual comparative speed of SSD devices.

Really, I think you’d see far more power from an SSD within painting programs messing with the materials than you would in most areas of your UE4 workflow. But there are still very noticeable improvements.

The only thing it will really affect is load times, which aren’t a huge problem

Thank you for the information. That was my thought, buy a reasonably well off PC and then upgrade the parts myself instead of buying some crazy Digital Storm Apollo or something. I don’t think adding a second SSD will necessarily impact engine performance as much as you’d think. I do think it would impact things like decreased load times and programs like PS, Mudbox or Maya. Just my opinion though.

Thank you all for putting your input in, I really do appreciate your time.

I’m not advocating you buy one from them. I just like using their site to put together compatible motherboards, psu’s, gpu’s, etc and get to get a good base price. Then build one yourself using those individual components, or find a comparable deal. I ended up getting one from them and you are right, it had a lot of bloated-ware, but for the money I saved it was worth it (to me) to go through and uninstall all the ****. At the time I couldn’t put one together myself, however, my next rig I’ll build myself.

Never heard of http://pcpartpicker.com/ eh?

I guess I should have said “like” CyberpowerPC, -or PCpartpicker, or any other place that lets you virtually build your dream machine. I’m not familiar with PCpartpicker, but with Cyberpower’s site when you’re piecing things together, it warns you that this motherboard doesn’t go with that processor or you need X PSU to run that graphics card. Then when you get everything “in sync” you can buy all the separate pieces from NewEgg, Tiger Direct, PCpartpicker, whatever.

Should give it a try. PC Part Picker not only organically prevents you from putting together functionally incompatible parts, it will warn you about any potential problems (like graphics card may not fit with case selection or you are building something that doesn’t have enough power, or not having save voltage choices). Plus it does it all while pricing it against a dozen different sellers to get you the currently best price that comes with a graph to show you how the price has fluctuated over time in case you want to wait anticipating a change in price. Its honestly the best way to build a pc.

@Alaan: Thanks, this is good info and hopefully useful to BlazeMcNight.