Spawned Sound 2D will not remotely fade out/stop etc

Hey All,

I’m trying to set up my music logic, but this problem I am having is really getting in the way.

So my Spawned 2D Sound-output Audio Component variable works-- but only if faded out/stopped from the same event fire. If I call an event somewhere else that tries to manipulate this handle the same way it will not work!

Has anybody ever encountered this issue before/have advice on this? It’s been really giving me a headache. May even be a bug, I don’t know. Could really use anyone’s help on this.

Thanks everyone!

CorsairOfLight

It might be getting garbage collected. Weird things happen if you don’t store the handle as a variable.

I have been storing the audio component as a variable, is there something else that I am missing?

Thank you very much for your time, and it is an honor to hear from someone at Epic about this issue. Thanks again!

Hmmm. It’s hard to tell what might be happening without more info. Do you have a screenshot of both how you’re calling the Audio Component when it works, and how you’re calling it when it’s not, by any chance?

Not sure what fixed the problem, but after restarting Unreal and using a different node to do the same function, I am able to fade an audio component in/out.

Here is a screenshot of the blueprint, as requested:

Note that the old node I used (Adjust Volume instead of Set Volume Multiplier) is at the bottom of the seconds screenshot.

Maybe you can enlighten me on this matter? Sorry if I took so long to get back to you on this one, let me know if that’s an issue. Thanks!

Oh! It’s odd that Adjust Volume is doing that. It’s working as expected on my end when I call the same handle in different locations - might’ve been something fixed in a later version / a blip fixed by restarting the Editor?

(It admittedly might be worth trying the FadeIn / FadeOut functions directly or the Audio Modulation plugin if the repeated calls to SetVolumeMultiplier are giving grief - they’re a bit more battletested.).

Truth! I can tell.

The problem is I can’t fade them back in once they’ve faded out, I think they get destroyed/garbage collected.

Thanks for your persistence on this topic!

CorsairOfLight

Ah! Ya, fading out has an implicit assumption of “the sound is done playing.”

Then I guess I’ve got to stick with those other nodes. So far the Set Volume Multiplier node hasn’t done anything as weird as the Adjust Volume one.

If it is not too much trouble, can you either point me in the direction of a bug report form or maybe inform the crew that Adjust Volume sometimes doesn’t use the handle or doesn’t perform its task?

Ya! The official bug report form is here - I can say from experience you’re going to want to be very clear about things like your current version and exact steps to reproduce the issue, though.

Usually its best to try to replicate the issue on as tiny a project as possible, on a vanilla branch of Unreal. In general devs don’t have the bandwidth to deal with “sometimes in my large project this thing happens” type problems, but “if I pull a clean version of Unreal Blah.blah, put in this four function Blueprint in the level, X unexpected thing happens” is a different story. The narrower the repro is, the easier it is to fix the bug!

Wow, that was very educational! I use Unreal Engine a LOT so that is very good info. Many thanks to you!

I’ll see if I can replicate the issue in a new small project. Thanks!

CorsairOfLight

1 Like