Download

Spawn Actor Component?

I’m working on a block-based building system and I’m currently trying to add support for more than one kind of block. Currently I have 4 basic shapes which I’d like to be able to switch between, and while I know how to do this - I was wondering of there is a convenient way to do this from the one same blueprint? Currently each shape has its own blueprint, and while that isn’t much of an issue, I feel that I should be doing stuff like this as it will undoubtedly come in very handy at later stages.

Currently I’m using StaticMeshes inside my Blueprint, and the issue is that I don’t know how to only spawn one of those components into the world. If I use Spawn Actor, it’ll just spawn all of the components - and there doesn’t seem to be a Spawn Component function.

Also will this cause any issues later on? In case I’ll later decide to add variables for things such as weight, health and such? Would I still be able to specify these for each component individually? Or would they affect all components?

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:

Got another question while I’m at it, I’m also trying to get a sort of preview working. Whereas the block will follow my trace, I’ve managed to get it so it spawns the object when I activate build mode, but I can’t get it to follow the ground/other blocks, it always comes towards character and then just gets stuck inside of me following me.

I’m mostly having trouble to see if the impact point is one of specific actors. Currently using Class Is Child Of which I assume is what I’ll want to use - but I can’t quite get it to work.