Spatialize a stereo sound

Hello All,

I’m trying to understand the spatialize settings in Sound Cues.

Specifically I have a looping, stereo sound, for a bubble-like shield which appears around the player. What I desire is for the sound to remain stereo (non-spatialized) for the player which has the shield activated, but to be spatialized from the perspective of another player in audible range of the shield (this is a multiplayer game).

I’ve drawn a crude sketch to demonstrate this, which is attached below. :slight_smile:

There are two settings in a Sound Cue which I am guessing would provide a solution to this:

• Non-Spatialized Radius
  • 3D Stereo Spread

But…I don’t yet appear to understand the settings, as I can’t get them to work. :smiley:

• If I have the “Spatialized” tickbox UNTICKED, the sound plays in stereo, as expected.
  • If I have the “Spatialized” tickbox TICKED, the sound appears to spatialize, and is no longer stereo (as expected).
  • However, if I have the “Spatialized” tickbox TICKED, then set a really high value for “Non-Spatialized Radius”, my expectation would be that any player within the “Non-Spatialized Radius” should hear the sound in stereo, as it would not be being spatialized. This is not the case, as currently the sound continues to be appear spatialized despite what value I set for “Non-Spatialized Radius”.

I have also tried changine the “3D Stereo Spread” which I would also assume to have some bearing on spatializing stereo sounds, however I have yet to observe its effect.

As you can see, lots of assuming on my part and very little understanding! :smiley: Any tips on what I am missing here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hi, I know it’s an old post, but I found that if the Specialization Method was Binaural, the non-specialized radius did not seem to work, but with Specialization Method as Panning it did.
I’m on 4.22.

None of these methods worked for me on 4.22. Did you use any Spatialization plugins with Binaural method? What was the settings on “3D Stereo Spread” and “Non-Spatialized Radius” when it worked for you?

Sound was playing in mono with spatialization when its location was = to listener location. Just had to move sound emitter somewhere and it worked. Also it might’ve worked because I enabled new sound mixer.
That said, if location of sound emitter = location of listener => then somehow set sound to 2D probably would be able to fix mono issue.

Hey Jay,
3D Stereo Spread and Non-Spatialized Radius did not worked out for me when I was using Binaural. I tried using the occulus and steam plugins but might not have been really thorough when testing.
It only worked when using Panning method.
Which plugins are you using?
I’ll try the sound mixer this week if I have time, but it’s kind of working good enough for me at the moment.

Hey Pandamonium, I’m using Steam Audio, Binaural spatialization method, 3D Stereo Spread is set to default 200, still not sure how it works. Very important point: Non-Spatialized Radius is set to 0. If sound plays from within this Non-Spatialized Radius it’s not only not spatializing, but it also plays in mono. I tweak Attenuation Inner Radius to compensate for Non-Spatialized Radius being 0.

When I switch spatialization method to Panning, it still works. Not sure if I can hear the difference, though.

Also, when I switch Spatialization plugin in Windows platform settings to Built-In Spatialization it sounds exactly the same. Not sure if switching it in Windows platform settings is enough, or do I have to completely remove Steam Audio plugin from the project to test it out.

What I am sure, is that now I can’t use Reverb. Irregardless of what plugin I switch to in Windows platform settings. It just doesn’t work, or there might be a different procedure to set it up with new audio mixer.

Without new audio mixer reverb works, and now spatialization works too for some reason. …Too many uncertainties.

Also worth noting that, when you spatialize sound, left and right channels are reversed. I think it might be due to the directionality of the sound emitter. As if it’s playing the sound from perspective of the source.

P.S. Sorry if it’s a bit unstructured post.