Space Nebula and Starfield Plugin ✧ V1 + V2 + V3 ✧ for UE4

@jojo8026 Less than a week, again with some enhancements :slight_smile:

Hey @LeeFX what is the status of the plugin version of this plugin?

I am eager to pick it up :slight_smile:

If I purchase version 1 will I get version 2 on release? Will the project cost more after version 2 comes out?

When is version 2 coming out??

I’d definitely like an update too! Very excited for this plugin!

According to the youtube video description version 2 is already out, but I don’t see that info anywhere else…

hippo_bump.jpg

Bumping to the moon

We also made a nice Tutorial and Showcase Video!!

I bought the first version, and it was basically unusable. The BP were a spaghetti mess with no documentation, and required download and compilation of an external C++ plugin that - as far as I can tell - has never been updated to work with later version of UE4. You’ve never supported your existing product, you just abandoned it, despite changes to the engine that required rewrites to your code to even compile. How can I possibly trust you will ever support this version?

If you already purchased V1 before the actual V2 launch, feel free to mail us for your free upgrade :smiley:

@GigasightMedia: Please talk to us and we will help you out. In the past we always gave support for our products and even implemented new features.The Nebula is tested with all the supported engine versions with no known problems! We apologize for any issue and want to go deeper into to solve it, but we need your coorparation to get this done! Most of the users had a good impression of the package. The code is structured and commented, otherwise Epic wouldn’t approve the package for release. The additional code plugin is NOT required as it just adds some minor features like saving a cubemap to disk. On the other hand, maybe you think too complex, the Nebula is plug’n’play and is used with very less controls (e.g. there is no need to touch the Nebula’s Blueprint code).

I notice in the marketplace you talked about free updates for those that purchase v1 of this product. How does one go about getting such and update now that this has been released?

@KevonMO: Hey, just check your PMs

Any chance of cubemap-export coming to v2?

I am working on a fairly large space game, and would love to use this. However the performance isn’t quite worth it when I’m using the nebula to render a static background. I would like to update the background depending on where you are in a giant galaxy, so being able to re-generate new cubemaps at run-time would be even better. Thoughts?

edit: Like a “Baked background mode” that only updates for a different camera position when you explicitly call “Rebake”

Hi @Jobbizz,
it’s a quite usefull feature to render and display a performance-friendly cube-map of the nebula when arriving at a certain point in space and the background is just appearing still. This way you may also spawn another nebula (like a sun) without performance or overlapping issues. So far we did not have the time to implement this feature for V2 but in the further progress of our project it will be and so for the future plugin release.

Let’s say you do this by yourself in Blueprint: Take a look at the UpdateNebulaRendering function and you may see how to draw the current nebula-material into a rendertarget-buffer in respect of the camera-transform. Copy and modify this function to draw 6 images in each direction and set those as texture-parameters in a background material of a hollow cube in the level. You may draw just one image per frame over 6 frames to reduce the lag! also remember to set the ViewAngle and AspectRatio parameters.

Have fun and let us know if you get along with this approach :smiley:

[FONT=trebuchet ms]✧ We are very excited to visualize a real Space Nebula up there in the sky (~20 light-years away from earth)

Have a look at the main post to see the references. Here is a nice article on the Musca and the paper by Aris Tristis:
First Mapping of Interstellar Clouds in Three Dimensions | News | Astrobiology [FONT=trebuchet ms]✧

Sent you a message :slight_smile:

Hey Guys

I seem to be having a slight problem with the plugin, it all work great but when any object faces or is in direct alignment in any direction to any nebula its as if the nebula is always on top? like its behind the object and not in front of it,

I have even blocked out the entire nebula with a large mesh and still behind the object the nebula is visible through the mesh?

is there a solution to this? please it would be most appreciated

image included is the nebula in the distance and a sphere closest to the camera and the nebula seems to still be infront, i need to have the object block any nebula created

Kind Regards

Hey @Gavi101,

Sorry for the delay, what you can try to do, is to increase the density of the nebula, if it is near 0, it will always be transparent.

Anyways, we’ll get in touch with you so we can sort this out!

Best

Lee

Dear Gavi101,
since the nebula is rendering on a separate resolution buffer, there is a material parameter within the Nebula_MatInst to adjust the nebula’s ‘EnvironmentOcclusion’.
Hope you get along with this and have fun :smiley:

thansk guys im busy trying all advice, will get back top you, once again, AMAZING plugin, you will be mentioned in our Game for sure!!!

ok guys, got it working the way i want it to work,

BUT, now the nebula turns white after a few seconds, when i get top close. the engine freezes for a sec and then BAM all color info gone and i am left with a cloud in space lol, any ideas of what this may be? I have not changed any setting, I think that could cause the color to just get lost, and this is even before I found the transparency / opaque workaround

also for those of you who are using this plugin and want dont want that per pixel rendering to affect your opaque objects, the following process helped me out,

Being that this plugin uses a per pixel engendered buffer system to dispolay the layered info in a volumetric style way, and the UE4 transparent material mechanics work the way they do, I found out that you can use the `manipulate this layered transparency order by doing the following:

1. open the Mat_DisplayNebulaBuffer,
  2. select the materiel’s main attribute node (where Emissive Color & Opacity plug in )
  3. Change the Material Domain to Deferred Decal / Blend Mode to Transparent and Decal Blend Mode to Translucent,

doing this the Transparency is handled differently with opaque objects in some way,

LeeFX and Schlabbermampf can you pls confirm my workaround findings as a valid workaround? dont want to mis guide our forum or plugin guys.