Sound Class Bug in 4.7.3

Some SoundClasses are now failing to import when launching the game, as though something is corrupt. (Failed import for SoundClass.) I have 21 Sound Classes. It started with one error when creating a new Sound Class. When I fixed that error by deleting it and recreating it, it caused others to start having problems.

The biggest problem being that when I click to edit one SoundClass, it appears to open a completely different SoundClass! And when I try to fix one error, it apparently generates more errors in whatever was connected. For example, trying to edit the FootSteps SoundClass actually opens the Master SoundClass, and trying to delete the FootSteps Sound Class causes some (but not all) children of the Master SoundClass to fail to import. Am I going to have to rebuild all 21 Sound Classes from scratch??? I have a lot of Sound Mixes assigned to them as well, so it’s not going to be a fun job.

Unfortunately, I didn’t start this audio work. The basic SoundClass layout was created by someone else from the Starter Content, but I’ve been expanding it a lot, though it seemed to be OK in 4.6. I’m not sure which version it was originally created in. I think they originally started in Unreal 3.

I’ve also tried Fixing Up Redirectors, but it couldn’t find any problems.

By reverting, I can get it to a state where I don’t get the Failed Import errors, but I still get one SoundClass that is not connected to any other SoundClasses, but when opening it for edit, it appears to still open the Master SoundClass with all SoundClasses selected, showing the entire SoundClass tree, and saying the properties have multiple values (even though I’m only trying to edit a single SoundClass that isn’t connected to anything.)

I should also note that I believe this SoundClass is the only one I have that wasn’t connected to the Master SoundClass tree. Although if I create a new SoundClass and don’t connect it to anything, it opens it as a single node, which is drastically different behavior, and what I would expect. It’s almost like the Unreal editor thinks this SoundClass is a selection of ALL SoundClasses, as it opens the full tree with all of the SoundClasses selected. Oddly, it does show the Master SoundClass as a child, although when I delete the child (which shouldn’t be there), it disconnects all connections of the entire tree, as though I just edited the Master SoundClass! And in fact, if I then go back to edit the Master SoundClass, it shows up as a completely disconnect object.

Anyone else seeing anything strange? Did I somehow get a circular reference that cannot be fixed?

Hello nateb,

This seems like you have created a circular reference that is stuck in a loop. If this Sound Class system began in an older version you could be dealing with multiple corruptions as well due to consistent changes made to the engine with each new update.

My suggestion would be to delete your projects Config, Derived Data Cache, Intermediate, and Saved folders. Be sure to make a copy before doing so in case you lose work you wish to retain.

Let me know if this suggestion resolved the issue or if you need further assistance. This problem seems to be deeply rooted and project specific so if this step does not work, we might need to look at your project which is always a last resort.

Thank you,

Hi,

I tried deleting my Config, Derived Data Cache, Intermediate, and Saved folders, but unfortunately it didn’t fix it. I think I managed to get the weird circular reference to go away by adding it as a child Sound Class manually, using the Child Classes + elements button on the Details Tab. (I could not link it graphically because the Sound Class wasn’t showing up as a node that could be connected. It also isn’t letting me drag a link to create a new Sound Class. The new Sound Class node just disappears after typing in the new name.) And as I mentioned, opening the Sound Class would actually open the Master Sound Class with all the child Sound Class nodes selected, rather than opening the individual Sound Class.

Now I am on to a new problem (which may have started this mess in the first place.) Our SFX volume slider is controlling the volume of all sounds in the game (as though it’s the Master fader.) Whoever originally set this up changed the name of the “SFX” Sound Class to “Game”, and also added a duplicate “Master” sound class at the head, but using the name of the game.

So, a few questions:

Do the Sound Classes controlled by volume sliders have to be named Master, Music, SFX, and Voice?

Can a Sound Class be renamed without affecting every referencing object in the game?

Is there an easy way of deleting a Sound Class that’s ahead of the master Sound Class? I was trying, and it says there are 203 referencing objects (which seems strange that there are any.) But the weirdest thing is that it won’t let me choose the Master Sound Class for replacing all the references.

And now, just testing out a few of these things, it unfortunately always goes back to Failed import for the head Sound Class when starting up UE4 Editor.

Any follow-up with this thread would be greatly appreciated. I’m running into the exact same issue.

Thanks,

Hey Craft_Media_Group,

Since this issue is fairly outdated, and we have made changes to our Audio Engine since this post was created, we ask that you create a new post and provide me with as much information about your specific issue, and how to replicate it on my end.

You can respond to my comment with a link to your post and I can assist you there.

Thanks,

2020, this still happens after just trying to move sound classes to another folder. Any sound class I try to edit shows as “master” and is blank; no child classes, no properties. (Oh except for “sfx”, but it still shows blank.)

Edit: Brand new sound class shows blank too; no options to add child classes.