Sos> UT4 wont run on AW 14x laptop

Hi all, my very 1st post, no longer a wergin :slight_smile:

Im running an AlienWare 14x R2 with
Intel Core i7-3840Q cpu @ 2.8ghz,
16gb ram and 500gb SSD
NVidia Geforce GT 650M
DirectX v11 on a dual screen setup. I successfully installed the Unreal Engine 4.10.4 editor - which appears under Unreal Engine tab of launcher.

And I also installed - under the Unreal Tournament tab of launcher - both the game and editor. Build released 3/9/2016

Firstly I dont understand the diff between the two editors except when I launch the 4.10.4 version it gives more project startup options. Anyhow this isnt my prob. Any comments welcomed on this though…

My prob is that when I try test/play any tutorial map out of the 4.10 editor (or the other editor) in the actual game mode it just wont launch the game, even if I directly try to launch UT from PLAY menu. It gets to the stage where it says checking for best setting or something like that and just hangs there, or as in the last time I tried it crash my pc with a nvkflt.sys bluescreen of death!! I can run maps in pretty much every other mode available.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this laptops specs?
If so is there an earlier version of ut that is compatible?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I refer to compatibility:
http://help.unrealtournament.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2105922-epic-games-launcher-system-requirements

Hi vjmandala,

The UT Editor has code and assets specific to the Unreal Tournament project, which is why it has been separated from the primary editor on the launcher. They are technically the same editor, but there are changes and assets that are specific to UT that are not necessary for the standard editor.

Can you post your full dxdiag? Have you tried running a verify on your engine build to ensure that no files are damaged or missing? This can be done by going to the launcher>Unreal Tournament>Create>Dropdown menu and press verify, it will repair or replace any damaged or missing files.

There is far too much info in the dxdiag to post in 1 post.

So I uploaded the txt file here http://www.vjmandala.com/DxDiag.txt

Verification worked ok, still cant boot game.
Managed to install 4.11 engine after several tries, it runs ok.

Hello vjmandala,

I’d like to see if your logs include a crash call stack that would help us identify the problem. If you don’t mind, could you delete your UT saved folder located in: C:\Users%username%\Documents\UnrealTournament

After deleting the saved folder, try launching the game from the Epic Games Launcher again. If it crashes, find the log in: C:\Users%username%\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Logs

Attach that log here. Hopefully it will include the call stack at the bottom of the log.

If you manage you get a Crashreporter window, leave a message including the steps you took to get the crash so that we can locate it in our Crashreporter database. (This may not be possible if your PC is crashing)

Thanks!

Chiiz mate. Tried launching UT game, asked to accept lic, then did its ‘wait a while while I check for best settings’ then blu screen crash. I zipped whole UT saved folder with config and logs if any help. No crashreporter, just Blu death :frowning:
Hope this helps?
http://www.vjmandala.com/Saved.

STOP 0x00000116
NVKFLT.sys

Try running UT with no additional monitors plugged into your laptop, use just the screen of the laptop.

Additionally, try installing this:

The intel driver will tell you that you’re up to date, but please continue and install this.

Finally, if neither of these work, try going into your NVidia control panel and force the NVidia card to activate when UE4Editor.exe launches. See if this fixes the error.

Hi vjmandala,

We have not heard from you in several days. I am marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error, please comment with the requested information.

Thankyou very much for the suggestions , I only had the chance to try them out today.

Tried ut4 with 1 monitor - Blu Scream (Blue Screen)

Downloaded the driver Ver 15.33.36.64.4226 as stated in install script, went through the whole install process, ask to be rebooted. When I check driv ver in Device Manager it shows 10.18.13.6510. Previous driv ver was 10.18.10.4276.
Tried ut4 - Blu Scream (Blue Screen)

Changed NVidia control panel Manage 3d setting for ut4editor to 'Hich-performance NVIDIA processor. Ran ut4 (with 1 mon) - Blu Scream (Blue Screen)

Cheers, Adem

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling UT to see if that fixes the error?

Thanks for tip .
I uninstalled UT from (via) EPIC launcher, reinstalled, restarted, no blue screen this time but it still froze on ‘checking settings’.

Hi vjmandala,

While we were unable to reproduce it on our end, a bug report, UT-4347, has been entered to be assessed by the development staff.

Apologies for late reply, been rather ill. thank you for your help.
Can i assume if a solution is found a response will appear here?

The best place to get updates like that is on the UT blog:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/blog/new-build-new-map-underland

This is the most recent update, they generally will provide a link to release notes with new features and bug fixes.

Thanks for that, will have a look and post back here if/when I find a solution.

Hello vjmandala,

Sorry for the delayed response. Could you go to your Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor folder and look for GameUserSettings.ini, and change:
InitialBenchmarkState=-1 to InitialBenchmarkState=0.

Try launching the game again after you do this and see if you can get to the main menu.

Thanks for response FG, my machine is going through a length exthdd 2 exthdd 2tb backup, taking me dayyyyyyys :0
Will give the above a go as soon as its done, fingers crossed :slight_smile: Chiz m8

Doing this worked. I am able to launch UT no probs. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor folder and look for GameUserSettings.ini, and change: InitialBenchmarkState=-1 to InitialBenchmarkState=0.

Doing this worked. I am able to launch UT no probs. Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor folder and look for GameUserSettings.ini, and change: InitialBenchmarkState=-1 to InitialBenchmarkState=0.