Something wrong with my lightmaps?

Hi guys! This is probably some simple issue, but not for a newbie I am. I Tried to add a custom lightmap UV for the first time, and got this:

which is obviously wrong. I`ve already checked my geometry and normals, they are ok. UVs seem fine to me either.

Here are the settings:

What’s wrong with me/it?

Are you using static lighting?

Are you referring to this aspect?

Yes, lighting is static. This is how it looks before I build light:

And your custom UV is on channel 1?

yep. [It also says that I have overlapping UV`s now] nevermind, fixed that one

I don’t think I can say anything very exciting.

The only possibly useful thing is to put your lightmap on channel 0, and check the material looks ok. Sort of a lightmap debug.

It… kinda does

Weird.

If you can give me a link to get a copy of this model somewhere, I’ll take a look, but otherwise I’m out of ideas…

Hmmm

I do think it’s just the your lightmap is not layed out correctly. Take a look at this density debug shot

I don’t think there should be a patchwork effect like that, no?

surely not, what caused it?

All I did was import FBX and uncheck ‘generate lightmap UVs’.

The lightmap needs to be layed like a material UV.

I just clicked ‘generate lightmap UV’ to calculate from the material UV and I get

Ok, I did that and it worked beautifully, though I don’t really get what happened :grinning: But I’ll go deeper into it. Thank you so much for your time and help, you`re a real hero!

1 Like

When you tick that checkbox, it’s making the light UV from the material UV, so it’s not using your custom UV.

Yes, I understand that, but what is the whole point of making custom lightmaps then? I’ve been told it is a right way to do the thing.

I don’t think it really matters, unless you think there’s something wrong with the auto-generated ones.