Some textures aren't loading in a build

Hi there! I’m extremely new to UE, and any kind of game development in fact, I’ve been tinkering with UE5 for the last 4 weeks and I’m putting together a basic game just to prove to myself that I can, no intent to sell.

I’ve been getting free assets from the marketplace and sketchfab etc.

I packaged the game and everything works fine on my desktop (Ryzen 5700X, 64Gb RAM, RTX 3060Ti).

However, when I try to run the game on my laptop (i7, 16GB, GTX 1070M) some of the textures don’t load on the models. See photos attached.

Both machines are running the latest graphics drivers. The game is packaged as DX12.

I’ve tried to figure out some kind of similarity to the textures as to why these specific ones aren’t loading in. I don’t seem to be getting any texture streaming pool errors either.

Some are megascans, some aren’t. Some are from the marketplace, some from quixel, some from sketchfab (USDZ).

Does anyone know what I should be looking for here? What’s a good starting point to figuring out this issue?

1 Like

@crEA-tEch
Welcome to the community!
It seems like it might be something to do with target graphics performance, do you have any kind of performance caps/manual settings? Another might be import settings.
I hope this can help!
-Zen

Hello Zen! Thanks for your time.

I do have graphics settings toggles on the menu. Photo attached. But even putting these on low makes no difference.

What do you mean exactly when you say import settings?

Ok so I think I may have spotted the problem.

On the machine that I have the editor running, I checked the textures file paths…

E.g…
…/…/…/…/…/…/Downloads/cache/udsreiudw/tier0/udsreiudw_8K_Albedo.exr

Yet I can’t seem to find where these are, they could be on a network drive? I thought UE pulled all assets into the project folders when importing?

I’m starting to think this is because somehow the packaged game is looking elsewhere on the computer for the textures? And whenever I run the game on another computer - the textures aren’t there… is this possible?

I’m still at a loss after trying to figure this out over the weekend. Has anyone come across something like this before?

Well after a few days of ripping my hair out, I’ve managed to find a solution.

I haven’t figured out “why”, but I do know that it has fixed it.

I spotted a “bake material” button. I clicked it and now the textures load up on my other machine.

1 Like

@crEA-tEch, Glad you solved it, and thanks for posting your solution!
Happy Developing! :vulcan_salute:
-Zen

Well it turns out it didn’t fix the issue. It sort of broke some textures, fixed some, and didn’t affect the others!

1 Like

@crEA-tEch,
I’m thinking now that it might just be a pretty specific type of referencing error, as the materials just literally aren’t there. Try removing your Saved and Intermediate files from your project’s directory to see if that resolves most of the referencing issues. Be sure to make a copy of these folders first before deleting/removing them from your project, though.
Let me know if it’s still causing issues!
-Zen

1 Like

I’ve a very similiar issue, but in my case I think the problems caused were by UE5.0.3. Basically, I opened my project with UE5.0.3, which was created in UE4.7.2. Did this occur the same for any of you?

I have this issue. 4.27
Some specific characters only are not working. Others are working fine.

I have the exact issue and I’ve followed all the steps and it still doesnt work, I use 5.1.1

I fixed it, solution, turn off nanite