[SOLVED] Simplification failed

See attached screenshot.
No other programs running but still the same error.
I simplified MUCH larger models before…

Exporting model and registration and importing them into a new project did solve the issue.
Would still be better without… :slight_smile:

Götz Echtenacher wrote:

See attached screenshot.
No other programs running but still the same error.
I simplified MUCH larger models before…

Hello Gotz,
Solution for this could be new simplification algorithm hidden in: RECONSTRUCTION/Settings/Advanced/Use legacy simplify algorithm - set this field to FALSE.
This new algorithm is out-of-core, which means that it’s independent on your memory budget. But it is not tested as good as old one.

Hey Kruzma,

thanks for the quick response!
I shall try it at the next opportunity.
However, I really did simplify 89 mil confirmed and I suspect even over 100 mil models.
And since this one worked just fine after re-importing, does that not point towards a bug?

Götz Echtenacher wrote:

However, I really did simplify 89 mil confirmed and I suspect even over 100 mil models.
And since this one worked just fine after re-importing, does that not point towards a bug?

Hello Gotz,
did you check your memory usage in task manager?
It is possible, that even though there was no other program running, the memory usage was still high, caused by RC or some background service/app.

Yes, I usually have WHiNFO64 running for exactly that reason.
Nowhere near 100%.
Just tried it again - 22% memory usage BEFORE I start simplification.
And the error pops up even before anything happens, memory usage does not increase at all.
Again, it did work with re-import plus it was the first time with a small project (650 imgs) - no problems with 2400 imgs plus 89 mill model.
So what could be the issue?
Too many alignment runs (=cache files?) beforehand?
But since I deleted them, that should not matter…

Ok, I think I found the issue.
It is situated between my ears! :slight_smile:
In the error message it says simplification TO xyz tris and not FROM!