[Solved] Cave mesh inside mountain holes - how to align?

'm trying to create a cave on my level. I got a mountain using a landscape, and I want to create a cave on one of the mountain “walls”. I created a hole using the invisibility tool in the landscape tool, and put the cave in there. But how can I align the landscape to encapsulate the cave exactly?

if it’s too much - it will get inside the cave. If it’s not enough - there will be holes between the caves and the mountain.

Attaching 2 pictures showing the different states (too big hole, too small hole)

Create transition meshes to hide the seams. With how landscape terrain tessellates, you’ll still have holes if you move closer/further away.

Thank you for your answer! Just to clarify though:

(1) “With how landscape terrain tessellates, you’ll still have holes if you move closer/further away.” - you mean even before I use the transition meshes? or after as well?
(2) Transition mesh such as rocks you mean? or something else?
(3) do you have an example for such a transition mesh (a video on youtube, or even just an image) ?

A transition mesh is akin to using a collar, it will be bigger than than the opening on the outside and smaller than the opening on the inside (think of a Torus). As an alternative, you can use rocks, foliage etc to hide the seams.

The issue with the holes comes with LODs, as the mesh reduces polygons with greater distance, so the gaps get bigger and more visible. Rocks and Trees have the same issue, but have more polygons to play with and deform less, so adding those will help.

AWM Mars - Got it working and it looks good, thank you! :slight_smile: