[Solution] How to change Unreal projects folder

Since original discussion is closed, I’ll post my solution here

1. Close Epic Games Launcher & Unreal Engine
  2. Move your project to a new folder
  3. Open %LOCALAPPDATA%\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\Config\Windows\GameUserSettings.ini and update CreatedProjectPaths parameter accordingly
  4. Done!

Now you can see all the precious projects listed in the Launcher’s Library, but what if you still can’t find them in Unreal Engine itself (File > Open Project…)
Well, just create a new project in your new default projects folder :wink:

19 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

For me this doesn’t work.

I add the line save it and close the .ini file start unreal engine 5.2.1 and projects still doesn’t appear. When I look afterward into the .ini file, the line I added is gone again. Weird

1 Like

So I had success with this today. I am on 5.2.1, I dropped the line below in the GameUserSettings.ini file. Then I stopped Epic from the system tray. Then just launched Epic Game Launcher again and everything was correct.

CreatedProjectPaths=D:/Unreal Projects/

Which section did you add it to? the first one [Launcher]?

This worked for me. You need to log out and make the change, the re-open unreal after logging back in.

I did make a mistake of trying to open of of the maps moved over before doing all of this and now the scene seems to be empty.

@InSource - Thank you. This also works for projects made with engines built from source which aren’t verified or recognized by the launcher. Provides a workaround for adding content from the marketplace or vault cache.

This was happening to me too. I was able to fix it by closing the Epic Games Launcher, (I also did End Task on EpicGamesLauncher in Task Manager under Background Processes) making the .ini file Read-only from its properties and then opening the Epic Games Launcher. Then unchecking Read-only from the .ini file’s properties, closing and re-opening the Epic Games Launcher.

Whenever I closed the Epic Games Launcher, I did End Task on the EpicGamesLauncher in Task Manager under Background Processes. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Whenever I re-opened the Epic Games Launcher, the path of my Unreal Engine projects was reset to its default location after changing the CreatedProjectPaths parameter.

I was able to fix this by right-clicking on GameUserSettings.ini, going to properties, checking Read-only, pressing apply, and then pressing OK. After re-opening the Epic Games Launcher, all my projects were there! I then closed the Epic Games Launcher, went to the properties of GameUserSettings.ini, unchecked Read-only, pressed apply, and then OK. After re-opening Epic Games Launcher again, my projects were still in the library section. Thank you so much for this solution!

Working solution.

Thank you! Works for Source Build

Here’s a solution for anyone like me who downloaded a new version of unreal and wanted to use the same directory as before for my already existing projects. You have to first create a new project and select the same directory as your previous projects and afterwards just delete it. Now you should be able to see your previous projects.

how do i revert to unreal 4, since unreal 5 is giving me some kind of an issue, where the um, project simply drops in frames, drastically on mobile, if i leave the app and return, odd, unreal 5.3

I didn’t work for me until I created a new blank project and set the required directory for it.

Then all worked.

If you’re using Windows for Unreal Engine Development, instead of moving your folders to another location, you might want to consider using the Dos command SUBST.

For example, if your default Unreal Projects folder is located at “C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Unreal Projects”, and you want to map that location to disk drive U: then your SUBST command would look like this:

SUBST U: “C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Unreal Projects”

So your CreatedProjectsPaths ini setting would be:

CreatedProjectPaths=U:

Better yet, you could put the SUBST command in a .bat file and put that in the Startup folder so that the alternate path is created every time you reboot. Doing it this way would mean that you don’t have to move your files at all and can leave them in the default location, but gain the benefit of a shorter path which is safer when building projects with Visual Studio.

Just create a file in notepad with the line:

SUBST U: “C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Unreal Projects”

and save that as UnrealProjectsSUBST.bat, right inside of your Unreal Projects folder. Then copy that file to the Windows Startup folder (Windows Key + R, then type “shell:startup”).

You don’t have to move a single file and you get the benefit of shorter path names. :wink: