First off, hello fellow developers. I wanted to post this asap so I can save many of you some time in getting your project set up. I was trying to begin a new UE4 project and I kept getting error after error and the major two that threw me off were:
“error LNK1181 cannot open input file delayimp.lib”
“error RC1015 cannot open include file windows.h”
I’m running Visual Studio Express 2013 on a Windows 7 Home Premium OS and my engine build for UE4 is 4.0.2. at the time of writing this.
I spent two days trying to figure this out and the solution was simple. Here is a step by step for those who encountered the same problem(s):
- Under solution explorer, right click your game project and go into properties
- Under “Configuration Properties”, click “VC++ Directories”. In this property table you are going to select the three following directory paths and alter their search paths:
- Click "Executable Directories in the right table and click the drop down menu select “inherit from parent or project defaults”
- Click “Include Directories” and in the drop down for that one, select “inherit from parent or project defaults”.
- Click “Library Directories” and in the drop down, select “inherit from parent or project defaults”.
- Click apply and close the properties window, right click your game file again and select “build” [or rebuild]. This should complete your source file and you should be able to select it in the editor and use it.
Here is a screenshot for visualization:
If you receive a new error in your error list, I apologize, however this worked for me after 2 days of stressing out trying to build the source for my game project.
Thank you to the contributors in these threads that collectively helped me solve this issue:
I hope this helped, and I figured this would be a quicker, easier way of pinging those who are searching for the solution so it’s all in one place. I’ve been through probably 30+ threads and pages trying to figure this out.
Thanks for your time and good luck with your future endeavors.