Solo dev - Spaceman Memories | A pixel art JRPG about Japan

Hi everyone, Tulio here but I go by NerdyPunkDev on the web. I’ve been developing my own game Spaceman Memories for a while. It’s a retro JRPG that takes place in a distant future but draws inspiration from ancient Japanese folktales. You take on the role of Ichiro 94, an astronaut who wakes up from hypersleep after his ship comes back to Earth and you go on a journey to find the remnants of his past. Previously I had been developing it in Unity but I recently brought into Unreal (for obvious reasons). I was making the game on 2D but since Unreal is way more suited for 3D I have decided on rebuilding the game on a pixel art 2.5D sort of way.

This is my first video devlog about this process. I share a bit about the tools that Im currently using to bring to life the 2D assets I was previously using on the first version of the game.

This first image is how the game was looking before the migration to 3D

These are some screenshots of this initial process. The unshaded ones you see here are from Crocotile3D which is the software Im using for pixel art 3D modeling.

Initial testing of character controller and bringing the assets into the engine

1 Like

Hello there @NerdyPunkDev ! Welcome to posting with us here on the forums! I’m excited to see this fun project that you’ve posted.

From the showcase that you’ve provided here I love the premise and the art style. I’m a big fan of seeing 2d go to 3d styles similar to what you’ve showcased. It makes a nostalgic appearance feel fresh and exciting!

How long have you been working on this project?

1 Like

Hello @The_M0ss_Man ! Really appreciate you took the time to stop by. Im really happy you like this type of projects, I do know this isnt the conventional stuff being built in Unreal but as you said, it conveys a feeling of nostalgia. I’ve been working on the game as a whole for around two years but I had a standby of a couple months so I would say a year and a half. Most of this time as I said was being done in Unity as in Unreal I have just been working from the beginning of October. Thanks for your interest, really appreciate it :bowing_man:

1 Like

Hey @NerdyPunkDev !

Your hard work truly shows and I cannot wait to see more progress updates as this continues to grow. I’m excited what lies ahead for this cute little JRPG!

1 Like