Sockets parented to a mesh do not change their Axis type on import from Maya 2016. This is regardless of me setting either Y up or Z up in the FBX export settings. The mesh that the locators are parented to seem to come in just fine.
- Have Maya set to Y up.
- Create a plane in Maya (I used 2016 Extension 2)
- Create a locator and rename it to Socket_Whatever
- Snap the locator to a corner of the plane.
- Duplicate and snap locators to the other corners.
- Export out via FBX, with either Y up or Z up as the axis conversion type.
- Import into Unreal ( I used 4.13)
- Open the mesh in the mesh viewer and turn on socket viewing.
- Notice the sockets are vertical rather than at the plane’s corners.