So... What's the "correct" way of setting up a first person camera?

The most common way that I’ve seen (and the way I do it as well) to establish a first person camera is to attach a Spring Arm to the player character, and then attach to it a camera component, but I’ve read some people saying that it isn’t the best way of doing it, but using the Player Camera Manager.

I’ve been testing it out of solely curiosity, but I’m not able to find it the use I need; yes I can change the FOV and some max and mins, but nothing more, so I have some questions:

· How exactly you define the camera local height? Through debug I’ve seen that the Camera Manager is an actor spawned in the world and it just get the player character world location and stick to it, but what if I want it to be more higher or lower? What if I want to crouch? How do I define those values?

· What if I want my camera to be attached to a Spring Arm, so I can add lag effect, and other scene components?

· How can I achieve the following hierarchy with a Camera Manager and adjust it’s Z location respective to the player capsule in the Player Controller blueprint?

Surely you mean third person?

No, first person; or is Camera Manager exclusively useful only for third person?

Maybe with Eyes View Point, or you can add a arrow component as camera anchor, as child of the capsule or child to spring Arm

I’m probably missing the point here, but how can you have a spring arm with first person?

I am just as intrigued as you :sweat_smile:

Sorry for the late response, I do not check the Unreal forums so often; the spring arm in the first person is to achieve the camera lag effect and to be able to toggle between first and third person for debug purposes.