So I moved all of my Megascans from my C Disk directory in Documents to a new one and when I loaded my Unreal Engine all my meshes were gone.

So yesterday I ran out of room on my C Disk, so I decided to move all the existing Megascans from my default folder in Documents/Megascans Library to the new directory in my D Disk.

Now what I didn’t think of, is that Unreal Engine wouldn’t just locate them for me, so when I loaded up my project today it looks like someone blew it up with Minecraft TNT.

I am panicking because I don’t know what to do and I might have just lost 90% of my map work. If anyone knows a way to recover that would be amazing. I haven’t tried moving them back and launching the project again. No idea which ones I moved into there now anyway as there was already some in the D Disk directory.

Thank you!

1 Like

Moving the Megascans folder shouldn’t make any difference to anything. The files in the are only there to avoid you having to download them again, when you want to use them.

So I think it may have been something else you did when changing disks.

Did you move your project, or any of its folders?

1 Like

No I would not dare touch any of the things in my project folder, and I also just reloaded up the project to try and see if the Megascans folder has any use, but then I found that every object was back, then I tried pressing G to go in game view (where all visible volumes hide and motion blur enables), which is when 90% of them disappeared again and it looked the same as on the previous screenshot. Then I pressed G again, it was all back.

I quit the editor and it actually asked me if I want to save as if I had made some changes, even though I haven’t, so I feel like it got back in place. I’ll reload the editor now to make sure it’s alright.

1 Like

So everything’s there when you play, but missing when editing? That’s world partitiion.

1 Like

No, when you are in the editor and you press G, which is the view where are your volumes go invisible.

By the way I did just reload the engine it still happens, and forgot to say that I never got this issue before I moved those Megascans.

I understand about game view. Does it work when you play?

Looks like I can stand on arrayed cubes which acted as my platform but the Megascans texture is gone. It’s just a case of reimporting textures I think. Also sorry for not replying yesterday, I wasn’t available anymore.

1 Like

Looks like I had a CullDistance Volume in my level which I put in earlier because my Megascans grass was disappearing after getting back a few metres and it made my whole level do the same. Nice. I have to catch up on 2 months of development now but that’s fine.

1 Like

If you move the megascans folder to another drive, you have to launch unreal open bridge tab click on you’re profile within bridge click Preferences and re-direct it to where ever you moved - Open you’re file explorer goto the location where they are now - Right click in the bar copy address and enter in into prefrences in bridge.

I did this myself once and it freaked me out, This is how I solved it.